Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jatex81 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 07:58 PM
    Size of elected councils depending on population
    I want to know of any places in the world where a certain jurisdiction has a different number of (elected) council members based on whether the jurisdiction's population is above or below a certain threshold. For instance, in Pennsylvania (where I live) the boroughs (i.e. small cities) have 7 council members if the population is above 3,000 and they have 5 if the population is below 3,000. I would be interested to know about situations like this on *any* level of governance (e.g. state, city, etc.). I know this is an unusual question but I would very much appreciate your help. Thanks.
    Couchcarrot Posts: 590, Reputation: 41

Dec 11, 2008, 12:48 AM
    Here's some information about my area which has 26 council members that
    Are apportioned throughout the county based on each district's population:

Louisville Metro Council - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Couchcarrot Posts: 590, Reputation: 41

Dec 18, 2008, 07:11 PM
    If you're still looking for information on this, Norway, also has a
    Population-based county government. It is based in Oslo.

"The Storting is elected by county on the basis of proportional representation, i.e.
    each county is awarded a specified number of representatives based on its population."

Heres's a link: The Storting (Norway - the official site in the United States)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why are there so many lawyers elected? [ 6 Answers ]

Why are there so many lawyers elected into office?

Type of home depending on various appliances [ 3 Answers ]

If a home has a gas-fired, natural-draft furnace, a hot-water heater and a solid-fuel-fired fireplace, what type of home is it?

Which statement best explains the effect of resources on population size? [ 1 Answers ]

Which statement best explains the effect of resources on population size? a)the exponential growth curve models the effects of limiting resources on population size b)limited resources decrease the growth rate of population size c)density-dependent factors invariably lead to a positive ΔN...

Running 2 heat systems depending on outside temp [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Train heat pump and a Lenox hot water heat in our home. The heat pump works well above 40 degrees but I keep having to manually switch back and forth from one to the other. Is there a way to do this automatically?

Population Size [ 1 Answers ]

What is the minimum population size from which one can draw a random sample and have a 95% confidence level?

View more questions Search