Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BeKind437 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 12:19 PM
    Gifting Property
    Hello. My parents plan on gifting and instead of $ would like to gift the max amount in property, 24K worth or 12K from each parent. We assume that the 24K max applies to gifting property as well as gifting $. Now the property they plan on gifting is not in their name. My mother is among many in a partnership, an LLC. My brother is the president of the LLC and will most likely not change the paperwork. How can we go about this? They would gift a % of their share in '09 and '10.
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Nov 5, 2008, 01:32 PM

Yes, the annual gift exclusion applies to property, too. Which of course raises the issue of what the property is worth. May need an appraisal. From an estate tax standpoint, the present market may be a good thing, allowing transfers of more property tax free because its market value has gone down. If the property is in the LLC, they will have to either gift fractional membership interests in the LLC or somehow get the property transferred out of the LLC into their own names, so they can then gift fractional tenant-in-common interests in the property.

This is just general chat-in-the-brewpub information, of course, not legal advice specific to your family's situation. If your parents have sufficient assets to even have to be worrying about estate taxes, they can afford a good estate planning attorney and accountant to help them figure out the details. This family LLC stuff gets quite tricky, with the capital accounts and non-controlling interest discounts and all. As they say on Mythbusters, don't try this at home. Get a good E.P. lawyer.
    BeKind437 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Thank you for your reply. They are not gifting because of estate taxes, no need, unless things change under the new administration. It is only to even things, my brother was gifted $ in the past. My parents agreed to gifting property instead of $ to provide me with income. My parents can not transfer out of LLC. The LLC was formed last year when they purchased their first apartment complex. It has increased in value. My brother will not amend to provide me with a fraction of my mother's interest. This past year the building returned 40% from rental income and insurance. My mother will pass on my % of the return after she pays taxes; she will gift my return. We could continue this year to year however, we need something on paper in case something happens to my parents so I don't lose the principal. Also, if the % was in my name, I would pay less taxes on yearly return then my parents, I have no taxable income, they have a lot.
    John WA Posts: 27, Reputation: 2

Nov 5, 2008, 05:57 PM
    [QUOTE} How can we go about this? They would gift a % of their share in '09 and '10.[/QUOTE]

Your lawyer would draft a document that I'd call "Agreement to Transfer Units of ABC LLC", stating that your parents, as current registered owners of those units, are agreeing to transfer and convey those units to you.

They'd then sign and date and then tell the LLC's Manager about, in writing, so LLC will have been formally advised of same.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gifting money overseas [ 5 Answers ]

I am planning to send money from my US Account to "my" account in a foreign country (I understand that I have to file Form FBAR). Then, I am going to gift money to my mom who is living in a foreign country. 1) Am I subject to any tax in the US? 2) In case I am subject to a gift tax in the US,...

Gifting a home to offspring [ 2 Answers ]

MY father-in-law has "given" my husband the house. He claims it would be too expensive on us to have the title and deed changed into our name. Is that true, and how do I find out how expensive? Also, I have heard, according to Oklahoma law, if something happens to my father-in-law, no matter what...

Gifting of house [ 6 Answers ]

OK here's the question let me see if I can word this right. My sister's inlaw's want to gift her and her huband their house with them as living rights. My sister has her own home so what does this mean as they have no desire to move my sister says she is unsure what they are getting at she thinks...

Gifting and Deed Transfer [ 7 Answers ]

Can I buy a house and put my child's name on the title?

Gifting Equity [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I'm looking to purchase a home that is valued in the 300K range but is only listed at 250K because the owner is looking to unload it. I am doing a Stated/Stated loan that requires 5% down and I'm unable to go that route at the moment. I spoke to the agent that us selling the house and they...

View more questions Search