Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2008, 07:56 AM
    Death with Dignity
    Hello righty's:

Here's something you can argue with me about... In my state, I can NOW legally decide when I'm going to end my life, instead of the gubment making that decision for me.

Shouldn't that be MY decision? I think it should. Is that good? I think it is. I'm going next Thursday... Ok, just kidding.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 08:30 AM

I have much less of a problem with that then an individual choosing to end someone else's life.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 08:42 AM
    I agree with Tom.
    excon, I hope you live forever;)
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 08:42 AM

I don't know understand the big deal if someone wants to end their own life let them.
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Yup... let them, even though there may be hope and they could be happy.

I am sure you guys all agree with partial birth abortions too? Looks like a lot of Americans do. What the heck does that say about us in a whole. How selfish are we to pretend that it is all OK. Values have gone so far down the drain... I just don't understand.

I will tell you one thing, I woke up this morning expecting rainbows outside, cookie dough from my faucet and a big fat check on my counter... it didn't happen;) HHHMMMPH!
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 09:05 AM

Start you have to wait until 01/21/2009 then they are going to hook up the water pipes to the cookie dough reservoirs.
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 09:15 AM
    Ya... thanks;)
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 09:32 AM

you have to wait until 01/21/2009 then they are going to hook up the water pipes to the cookie dough reservoirs.
    Yup everyone voted for the promised tax cuts .I give it through his 1st hundred days if not sooner before we hear :

"I've worked harder on this than anything I've ever done in my life, and while I said I'd like to lower your taxes, I can't."
    [Bill Clinton February 1993]
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Hello tom:

Tom, my friend, I knew Bill Clinton. Barack Obama is no Bill Clinton.

excon
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 11:03 AM

Then why is he surrounding himself with Clintonoids ?
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/curren...da-276958.html

But perhaps as your posting about the back of the bus suggests ,the real change is behind us.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 02:34 PM

Don't be in a rush, excon!
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Nov 5, 2008, 02:54 PM

My problem with euthanesia is that once it becomes legal and accepted, the time will come when some bureaucrat will start making decisions as to WHO would be better off if they were "put to sleep". It is the same crowd that doesn't ask the BABY if it wants to live or not.

Once you get to the place where life is a privilege granted by the State instead of a right given by God, then the State will execute whoever it wants to.

If you think it can't happen here, I bet there were Germans who thought it couldn't happen there either.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    I have much less of a problem with that then an individual choosing to end someone elses life.
    What about the government choosing to end someone's life? You support that?
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 04:41 AM

So long as it is not an innocent life ,yes I do .
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Nov 6, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello righty's:

Here's something you can argue with me about.... In my state, I can NOW legally decide when I'm gonna end my life, instead of the gubment making that decision for me.

Shouldn't that be MY decision? I think it should. Is that good? I think it is. I'm going next Thursday.... Ok, just kidding.

excon
    Since I am not a Conservative Evangelical Christian type; I wonder how this is going over with them? Isn't suicide a sin; even in the extraordinary circumstances of having a terminal illness?

Personally I support the law; and while I don't know much about the specifics I would hope there are safeguards such as free counselling, and the ability of other family members to weigh in on the impact such a decision would have upon them.

Also, my concern about it would be what about people who have an infirmity of some sort who are simply sick and tired of living but are not physically able to commit suicide; but what if their judgement is off and what about the mentally challenged, what rights do they have, can they simply say they want an assisted suicide and get one?

I'm OK with it if someone is deemed to be of sound mind; but I could see some abuses from evil family members on those who are not of sound mind, who would rather have their relative dead for some reason of gain. I can just see some idiots trying to convince somebody that they don't need to go through the pain anymore and there is this assisted suicide thing, promoting it over and over just for their benefit and the poor person finally agrees to the pressure.

My father died of liver cancer and his last month was painful and managed by the best painkillers that medical science has to offer. If assisted suicide was available my father would not have taken it, just like he didn't want to fight his cancer; he thought it was his time. My father wasn't a religious man, and what he believed about God he kept to himself, but I know from my personal experience with pain that it is when we are in our greatest need that we seek the God of our understanding. I think making death simple, removes something natural about about death, something we were meant to experience. Whether that is a path to God, or simply being true to the human experience I don't know; but I can't help wonder if an assisted suicide is the drive through window of dying and we get a crappy meal as a result.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 02:36 PM

Ex,

I actually believe as one of those crazy, weird, boring Christians you have spoken so fondly of in the past, that suicide IS a forgivable sin IF you are saved.

If someone is in so much pain they are suffering I don't think increasing the dose of pain medicine is wrong and it goes on all the time in hospitals.

However, to schedule it... ummmm.. no I couldn't go along with that at all.
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 04:20 PM

Gal makes an excellent point. How soon will it be before the Joe Bidens of the country tells the infirmed it's their patriotic duty to get snuffed so we don't add to the burden of the nanny-state health care system?
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Nov 6, 2008, 04:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Gal makes an excellent point. How soon will it be before the Joe Bidens of the country tells the infirmed its their patriotic duty to get snuffed so we don't add to the burden of the nanny-state health care system?
    Geez... only two days after American's have voted for a change in the direction of this country and you have to bash Biden already? :(
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 6, 2008, 07:49 PM
    In my humble opinion Dr. Jack Kevorkian is a hero. He willingly provided the prosecutors with the evidence to put him away. The supporting testimony of the family of his "victim" was not allowed. It is sad that we are allowed to provide a humane exit for our beloved pets, but not ourselves, when circumstances warrant.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've been dumped but I need to hold my dignity [ 7 Answers ]

She dumped me for this other guy and told me that she's indifferent with me We then had sex during her relationship with him and it was really good. And now she said she loves me and I'm confused... I thought of telling this guy that he's dealing with a girl that cheated on him but I still want...

Pelosi: Bush comments 'beneath the dignity of the office' [ 42 Answers ]

Outraged Democrats are on the attack over Bush's speech to the Knesset in which he said this: The Obama campaign issued a statement in which he said, "It is sad that President Bush would use a speech to the Knesset on the 60th anniversary of Israel's independence to launch a false political...

Salvaging one's dignity in the midst of a painful breakup [ 19 Answers ]

I broke up with my boyfriend in the recent past. We fought too much, no good. One day I said 'enough' and called it a day. We had a little bit of contact. He seemed to be turning his life around which led me to suggest we work on our problems and get our relationship back on track (yes, yes I...

I want him back but with dignity [ 15 Answers ]

This is so hard. My ex boy friend was my first boy friend. We were together for three years and were even due to get married. From the first day we had met there was some kind of 'instant connection' and i knew we were meant to be together. We were both each others first sexual partners, so...

Human Dignity [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Experts, During WW-II many Christians were sent to Nazi camps because of their beliefs. They were remarkable in that they demenstrated their integrity to God. It was not easy because they were abused, women had their hair cut off and everything they owned or loved were stripped from them....

View more questions Search