Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bergs4 Posts: 107, Reputation: 3

Nov 4, 2008, 11:16 PM
    Installing Marble Tile
    Hello,

I am preparing to install marble floor tile in my bathroom. Currently, there is sheet linoleum on the floor (in v. good condition) which I am not going to remove due to the possibility of asbestos. The floor is reasonably level and well supported, though I plan to apply a floor leveling compound to make it flat. Do I need to install hardibacker over the floor leveling compound or can I simply apply thin set to the floor and then install the marble?

Thank you.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2008, 11:54 PM

Hi, bergs4!

From what I've read, the ideal underlayment for tile in a wet location is some kind of cement-fiber board. Please click Here.

As far as application of the thinset, I'm sure that there will be others who come along to address your question who have already had a lot of experience doing that.

Thanks!
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Nov 5, 2008, 11:43 AM
    The thinset on the vinyl is risky, if the vinyl is not stuck well you have nothing later.

I would go with the thin hardi backer screwed down to your floor.

Good luck Roger
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 5, 2008, 05:42 PM

These folks are right on the money. Hardibacker comes in 1/2" and 1/4", you only need the 1/4". Screw it and glue it to the floor with modofied thinset and then set your tiles with the same stuff. Straight thinset would be best for tiles on concrete.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marble tile adhesive won't dry. [ 7 Answers ]

I have laid 12x12 marble tile in my foyer. I laid it on Saturday morning and now it is Monday morning and its still not set. It is on top of subfloor with a layer of this felt/plastic composite underlayment. I'm wondering if it won't dry because its by the front door and its cooler there or I did...

How to tile a ceiling with marble tile [ 1 Answers ]

How to tile a ceiling with marble tile

Tile & Cultured Marble [ 2 Answers ]

Can one rough up and tile right over 1/4" Cultured Marble wall panels?

Installing marble tile - grout or no? [ 2 Answers ]

I am getting ready to install 12x12 marble ming green tile in my bathroom. I kind of like the idea of not using grout lines. Are there disadvantages to not using grout lines? Will this be an issue on the shower walls? thanks

Groutless marble tile [ 2 Answers ]

I want to put in marble tile in my kitchen, without any grout lines. Is there any special way I'm supposed to do this? I read that the problem will be that the edges of the tiles won't be perfectly aligned so there will be bumps, gaps and raised spots unless the whole thing is polished after it...

View more questions Search