spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2008, 10:24 PM
    Arugula For Everyone
    Yes we did!!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 10:32 PM

Shortly before Obama took the stage to give his acceptance speech, I received this in my email --

Carol --

I'm about to head to Grant Park to talk to everyone gathered there, but I wanted to write to you first.

We just made history.

And I don't want you to forget how we did it.

You made history every single day during this campaign -- every day you knocked on doors, made a donation, or talked to your family, friends, and neighbors about why you believe it's time for change.

I want to thank all of you who gave your time, talent, and passion to this campaign.

We have a lot of work to do to get our country back on track, and I'll be in touch soon about what comes next.

But I want to be very clear about one thing...

All of this happened because of you.

Thank you,

Barack
    Merris Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

Nov 4, 2008, 10:39 PM

Hear hear! A toast is in order. (raises glass) Here's to hoping that we can move forward as a nation working together to find a way to embrace peace and the ingenuity that made us such a great country in the first place.

Yes We Can and Yes We Just Did.

There is hard work ahead but United we stand. I've enjoyed the debates here but now I have a screenplay to finish that has reeaally suffered over the last few weeks!

Nice talking to you, boys. :) (and girls!)
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 12:45 AM

Arugula for everyone? Yea. In a year or two we will all be grazing, gathering and hunting for grubs. I hope there is Arugula growing out there.
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 07:24 AM

Good luck with the Screenplay Merris.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 09:43 AM
    Congratulations to Obama. It really is a historic day and I wish him and the country well. Maybe now that arugula will be more readily available here... I remember what Reagan did for jelly beans. :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 10:00 AM

I hope it does because Arugula is great!! I think I am going to use it to replace lettuce on my hamburgers.
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Nov 5, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Congratulations to Obama. It really is a historic day and I wish him and the country well. Maybe now that arugula will be more readily available here...I remember what Reagan did for jelly beans. :)
    That is very gracious of you considering some of your previous posts; you are clearly a better person than I thought, and I'm not sure I would be as gracious as you if your candidate had won.

I have a new found respect for you despite our political differences.

As for Arugula, can someone explain to me what type of drink this is as I'm not a drinker of alcohol (with the exception of a single beer once every six months; usually at some social event).

I will raise a Canada Dry - The Champagne of Ginger Ale's for this toast to our next President :D
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasParent View Post
    As for Arugula, can someone explain to me what type of drink this is as I'm not a drinker of alcohol (with the exception of a single beer once every six months; usually at some social event).
    :D
    Arugula is a green found in a lot of salads . It has a very peppery taste.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2008, 10:46 AM
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 10:47 AM
    That is very gracious of you considering some of your previous posts; you are clearly a better person than I thought, and I'm not sure I would be as gracious as you if your candidate had won.

Thanks Tex. He ran a good campaign and made history, I can't argue with that. It doesn't mean I'll be quiet now... but I'll give him this day. ;)

I will raise a Canada Dry - The Champagne of Ginger Ale's for this toast to our next President :D
    I take it you don't get much arugula down in your parts either.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 10:57 AM

I for one never liked arugula too much . My garden grows Boston Bibb very well (yes I can) and when I purchase it I get Romaine .

Nov 5, 2008, 10:57 AM
    Thanks Tex. He ran a good campaign and made history, I can't argue with that. It doesn't mean I'll be quiet now...but I'll give him this day. ;)

I take it you don't get much arugula down in your parts either.

My bad :o

I looked it up, apparently I missed this part of the campaign :D

"Finally, Obama took up the arugula matter. At a July campaign event at a farm in Adel, Iowa, Obama responded to farmers' concerns about falling crop prices by saying that American farm policy should focus more on supporting the production of specialty foods that are in increasing demand. "Anybody gone into Whole Foods lately and see what they charge for arugula?" he said. Several articles in the national press seized on the comment as a sign that Obama was out of touch and too cosmopolitan for Iowa tastes -- after all, the articles noted, there are no Whole Foods stores in the state.

At the fair grounds in Independence on Thursday, Obama was talking again about the need for diversifying crops beyond heavily subsidized staples like corn and cotton -- and used the opportunity to confront the grocery gaffe. He recounted the ridicule he'd received, citing it as proof of the media's pettiness. "They said, 'Oh, Obama's talking about Arugula in Iowa. People in Iowa don't know what arugula is,'" he said, to laughter. "People in Iowa know what arugula is. They may not eat it but they know what it is."

No mention, though, of Whole Foods" - Washington Post

So while it may not be native to Texas, I will raise a head of Romaine in a toast to our new President :p
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 11:10 AM

I like Romaine it's fancy looking and has a nice crunch.
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 11:16 AM
    It's OK Tex, I had never heard of arugula until I watched My Blue Heaven with Steve Martin as Vinnie. He went into a market for the first time and said "I haven't had arugula in six weeks." The manager asked "what's that?" Vinnie said, "It's a veg-uh-tuh-bull!"
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 11:19 AM
    I just read a clever post on this... yeah, I can even give credit to libs when they're funny.

"I predict the Arugulites and the Iceberg People will wipe each other out, leaving the crafty Romainians, whose shrewd divide-and-conquer strategy will lead to a long period of hegemony for the Romaine Empire."
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 11:45 AM

Speech I love My blue heaven!!
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 03:10 PM

I will raise a Canada Dry - The Champange of Ginger Ale's for this toast to our next President :D
    Steve's always been a better guy than he comes across as :D

No seriously, although I disagree with most of what he says, I for one have actually found most of Steve's posts, although almost always negative and unashamedly biased (who's aren't I suppose), respectful enough for a board of this nature. He is certainly passionate about his country and beliefs which is hard to fault in my book.

Do I think he will support Obama even if he does a great job? No not really. Not one bit I suppose. But I do hold out some hope that he is as fair as he says he is.. :D ;)
    Time will tell hey Steve??
    Ultra Member

Nov 5, 2008, 03:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Skell View Post
    Steve's always been a better guy than he comes across as :D

No seriously, although I disagree with most of what he says, I for one have actually found most of Steve's posts, although almost always negative and unashamedly biased (who's aren't I suppose), respectful enough for a board of this nature. He is certainly passionate about his country and beliefs which is hard to fault in my book.
    Unashamedly biased, yessirree.

Do I think he will support Obama even if he does a great job? No not really. Not one bit I suppose. But I do hold out some hope that he is as fair as he says he is.. :D ;)
    Time will tell hey Steve??
    Believe it or not I give everyone a shot. I said from the beginning of this I liked Obama (do one of your famous searches, NK, it's there) even though I don't agree with his political views. I'd rather have had Hillary than Obama, or Richardson and I actually hope he plugs Richardson into his cabinet. I'll be watching though, I won't forget the things he's promised any more than I'll forget the eight years of hell we've gotten from the anti-Bush crowd :D

Nov 5, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Unashamedly biased, yessirree.

Believe it or not I give everyone a shot. I said from the beginning of this I liked Obama (do one of your famous searches, NK, it's there) even though I don't agree with his political views. I'd rather have had Hillary than Obama, or Richardson and I actually hope he plugs Richardson into his cabinet. I'll be watching though, I won't forget the things he's promised any more than I'll forget the eight years of hell we've gotten from the anti-Bush crowd :D
    It must be a relief for you; always on the defence for the last 8 years. Now you get to switch sides and be on offence and the people who voted for Obama will have to defend his Presidency like I imagine you did for most of George W. Bush's term; or at least the ideals of the Republican party, Conservatism or the policies of any of the aformentioned.

I hope the Democrats, Republican's and Independants that supported Obama and the Democrat House and Senate members will call a pig a pig when they see a stinker from the Democrats. Although I voted for Obama and I am for universal health insurance; I'm not a fan of wasteful government. I hope that some of the social ideals that the Democrats campaigned on can be achieved in a bipartisan fashion. My preference is for the private sector to deliver these ideals; or a combination of private and public solutions.

It is my opinion that when the private sector fails, government steps in. I hope the private sector creativity of the Republican's can be married to the social consciousness of the Democrats for the good of all American's rather than just for profit or to the advantage of special interests.

If I stick around here, it will be fun to see if I am defending the new administration, or agreeing with you when you object... ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search