Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetlilly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 08:50 PM
    Cooking ham for Cristmas
    Hello, I'm very new to this site and still learning my way around.
    Christmas is coming, I like cooking very much:p. I live in Australia (Gold Coast) and we have very hot summers, I'm serving cold meats and cold seafood for Christsmas Eve dinner.
    What I would like to find is a great recipe on how to cook ham (healthy recipe) for slicing as cold meat, does any body can help me with this recuest? Thanks[I][/FONT
    sweetlilly Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 08:52 PM
    [QUOTE=sweetlilly;1357847]Hello, I'm very new to this site and still learning my way around.
    Christmas is coming, I like cooking very much:p. I live in Australia (Gold Coast) and we have very hot summers, I'm serving cold meats and cold seafood for Christsmas Eve dinner.
    What I would like to find is a great recipe on how to cook ham (healthy recipe) for slicing as cold meat, does any body can help me with this recuest? Thanks
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2008, 04:18 PM

Almost any baked ham recipe will take well to being served chilled and sliced.

Citrus based dishes would work wonderfully with Christmas, your cold seafood dishes, and chilled ham as well.

One very elegant warm weather option you might do very well to serve would be a chilled aspic. For example, a fresh fennel and orange aspic would work very well served before or even next to chilled ham, it follows wonderfully with traditional Christmas flavors, and it would undoubtedly be both beautiful and delicious. Consider doing miniature versions as individual servings for each of your guests.

Another great option would be to serve a chilled, homemade pineapple, lemon or orange sorbet at some point between your courses.

If you're looking for an interesting, elegant and delicious salad that would work well with Christmas, try sliced blood oranges, sliced red onion, vinegar (quality balsamic or red wine vinegar), a fearless drizzle of high quality olive oil, salt and black pepper. You can also add oregano and leave out the red onion if you so desire. This also works with regular oranges.

Consider serving your chilled ham with a small variety of chilled accompaniments like a chilled, homemade horseradish sauce, a light fruit relish, or a couple of quality mustards (for example, you might want to take your regular Dijon and tweak it so that you would have one that is honey-sweet, one that is herb based, one that is sharp, one that is whole grain, or one that is creamy, etc.) on the side.

Also, herbs such as dill, rosemary, parsley, lemon thyme, or fennel fronds would go great within your menu.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2008, 04:32 PM

Here are some baked ham recipes to get you started. You could easily serve any of them hot, warm or at room temperature.

Glazed Ham with Pineapple Mustard Sauce Recipe at Epicurious.com

Baked Ham with Marmalade-Horseradish Glaze Recipe at Epicurious.com

Old-Fashioned Ham with Brown Sugar and Mustard Glaze Recipe at Epicurious.com

Herb-Braised Ham Recipe at Epicurious.com
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2008, 04:49 PM

Well one could argue about ham being healthy, but the old fashioned ham with brown sugar is a popular one that I do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why cooking is so hard? [ 15 Answers ]

I eager to be good at cooking, what should I do for that? I heard that man does not like to marry a woman who does now know how to cook, is that true? I do not know cook anything, and I am worried about that, cooking is so difficult for me!! :(

Cooking for one? [ 8 Answers ]

Just a quick question: My husband is in the military and has been gone for the last 3 months, and won't be home for another month. It is hard enough to cook a meal for only 2 people, but when it is just me it is even harder! I normally cook big meals and bake a lot when he is home, but when it is...

Low fat cooking [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a low fat / calorie cookbook because #1 I'd like to lose 10 lbs & #2 I want my family to eat healthy and I'm out of new food ideas. The book contains recipes with each meal containing between 15 and 20 grams of fat and between 1500 and 2000 calories. Is this really considered low...

View more questions Search