Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigdavy_p Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Nov 4, 2008, 03:09 PM
    Will I have to reinstall XP?
    I'm thinking about swapping out my current mobo (celeron) for a different one that uses a pentium 4 cpu. Will I have any issues with my PC recognizing the new hardware? What suggestions do you have?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 03:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdavy_p View Post
    Will I have any issues with my pc recognizing the new hardware?
    Possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdavy_p View Post
    What suggestions do you have?
    Don't do it. Rebuild XP on the new board by doing a clean install.
    bigdavy_p Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Nov 4, 2008, 03:51 PM

Don't do what? If I reinstall xp on the new board, will I have activation issues?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Don't drop a new board in and use the same hard disk without reinstalling XP on it.

You will have to reactivate if you do a fresh install. It's not that big a deal if your XP copy is legit. Depending on how many times your XP copy has been activated (3 or more?), the online activation tool may tell you to call Microsoft. Upon calling you will be asked a series of questions and given an activation code if the answers you provide are acceptable. You will also need the product key from the certificate of authenticity sticker (usually stuck on the computer case) during XP installation.

Also, if you have XP "recovery" media that came with the computer instead of a plain vanilla OEM or retail XP disc, these are often pre-activated and no further activation is required.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I reinstall Firefox [ 2 Answers ]

It is necessary for me to re install Firefox in my Windows XP.. I need help or answers to show I can use to do this. How do I re- install Firefox in my computor?

Reinstall Comm.drv [ 1 Answers ]

When I boot up my computer, I get the message to reinstall COMM.DRV in System 32 directory. How do I do this?

Uninstall/Reinstall... [ 2 Answers ]

First I install Coreldraw GS 12 the I decided to update it to Corel X3 but my PC begun to slow then I uninstalled the X3 and try to reinstall the CGS 12 but it won't let me it saz error in applying... :confused:

Can't reinstall Windows 98 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I formatted my hard drive and tried to reinstall Windows 98 on my laptop. When I attempt to reinstall it says that it can't continue because there is a previous install still on the computer. I think the info might have gone onto my D drive and I don't know how to do a complete cleaning of...

Reinstall [ 2 Answers ]

?? Hi I need to know how I can re install comm.drv as I try to d/l games and a window pops up saying this is missing and needs to be re installed hope you can help thanks... >:(

View more questions Search