Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pmaslar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 12:17 PM
    Collection Agency Put a Lien on My Husbands House,
    HELP, Ok I had gotten sent papers saying that a Hosiptal was Suing me, they also had my husbands name on this small claims suit, For it had nothing to do with him so I didn't understand what they were trying to prove by doing that or didn't know if that was even legal. I lost the judgement and they won, I agreed to pay $100 a Month , I made payments for about 6 months then lost my job, I contacted the collection agency and explained I could no longer afford $100 a month and it needed to be lowered, they told me I can not do that for judgement was granted. After time it slipped my mind I did not make any payments, Then started again but only what I could afford, I last month got a letter in the mail saying they have put a lien on my husbands house. Now I live there but it is not in my name. How can they do that ? And what excatly can this lien do to him. He owns a Realty Company and buys and sells houses often, will this affect his other properties?? For I haven't even told him of it yet? He is going to Freak Out. HELP with this PLEASE would be greatly appricated. Do I need to hire a lawyer now??
    HELP IN CT
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 4, 2008, 01:26 PM

The problem here is you left his name on the judgement and therefore he is liable for the debt.

What you should have done, is ask that his name be taken off the judgement since he was not associated with the debt.

You will need to file a motion to vacate the judgement against him. If you get that, you can get the lien removed.

However, its not a terrible thing. The lien just means he can't sell your home until the amount of the judgement is paid.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 03:11 PM

Yes, husband needed to appear in court and request he be taken off all law suits.

Since it seems he did not appear to fight it, it is now stuck with it most likely
    pmaslar Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2008, 09:16 AM

HI, Me Again, Thanks for the Answers BUT will this Affect him buying or selling other houses he owns in his realty Business? And I tried to call the collection agency and get him off the debt, but they stated that in This State a Hospital or Medical Bill is the responsibility of BOTH the Married Parties.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 6, 2008, 09:24 AM

Get them to cite the law that says that he is responsible. However, its not unusual. And he may very well have signed something when you were admitted.

So if he is legally responsible. Then they can go after any assets he has in his own name. This means he really needs to setup a shell company to do his buying and selling.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 12:28 PM

Calling the collection agency will not do any good, they don't want to help you, they want their money, so can you two pay this money?

But the only way to change this is to go to court, to prove your case

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I put a lien on ex husbands condo for failure of payment on vechiles [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if I could put a lien on my ex husbands condo due to failure of making payments on vechiles that were in our divorce degree signed by a judge in the state of Florida? Because he already stop making payments on one, and now I am being sued by the company, but they also have decided...

Putting a lien on ex husbands condo failure to pay vechiles due to court order [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any way I can put a lien on my ex husbands condo for failure of paying on vechiles that were in our divorce papers stating that he has to make all payments, upkeep, maintenance and so of so forth? Because he stopped payment on already and that is going though the company that it was...

Collection agency-law firm placed lien on property [ 12 Answers ]

I just read a post saying credit card companies usually cannot place a lien on property. I had a credit collector for a cc company place a lien on my property in December 06. Is this legal A summons was sent to me in October 2006, I responded, they said I didn't. I made several payments to the...

View more questions Search