Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovingmama Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2006, 04:06 PM
    Am I wrong?
    I had a little girl a couple of years ago with my ex-husband. I am now currently remarried and my husband has taken on a wonderful father role. My daughter’s biological father hasn’t been in the picture for over 3 years. He hasn’t had contact with us in over 2 years. I have not contacted his family for visitations. I figure if they wanted visitations they would contact me. My ex is jail for a number of severe “mistakes”, yet my mother states that I should allow my daughter to see her “daddy’s” side of the family even though they haven’t seen her in 3 years. Am I wrong for keeping my daughter from an entire family who just walked away?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2006, 04:24 PM
    You are not wrong.

If they do not want to be apart of your kid's life, then you shouldn't force it as then that will only create problems.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 12, 2006, 04:47 PM
    I will agree with Captian,

I will add one thing, sometimes grandparents ( still got those memories of those old grey haired people from my memories) often feel ashamed to ask or afraid to ask.

Do they send any cards, letters or anything?

If not, my suggestion will be the same, don't force something they don't seem to want.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2006, 06:07 PM
    I don't feel you're wrong. While the father has visitation rights (though not necessarily while he's incarcerated), the extended family has little, if any, established rights to visitation with your daughter. Each state varies somewhat on this but no state grants extensive rights to grandparents, aunts/uncles, etc. (unless they are a court-appointed guardian.) Right now, you and your husband have the duty to raise your daughter in the most loving, nurturing and emotionally healthy environment you can provide. From the sound of your post, it doesn't sound like your daughter even knows these relatives very well so certainly nobody's being deprived as a result of her being kept away from them.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2006, 06:16 PM
    If you tried to keep my grandchild from me I would probably end up making you very unhappy with me. If they want to see the child you should let them, they are family. If they can contact you but don't, then forget about them.
    Rocktosh Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2006, 11:17 PM
    I don't know if you are wrong or right. As someone else mentioned, the extended family don't have any legal rights to see the child. But I would like to add that you may want to consider if seeing her relatives on her father's side would benefit your daughter. Since she is so little it may not make a difference now, but that may change as she grows up. Allthoug she has another father figure in her life it may still be very important to her as she grows up to have a bond with her father's side of the family. It is after all her blood relatives.
    I've had a few friends who grew up without any contact with their dads or anyone on their dad's side and this is something that greatly affected them when they got older. My best friend has told me several times that not knowing anything about her dad has been one of the greatest sorrows of her life and it was something that was especially difficult to deal with when she was in her early teens.

This is really not about the family members, what they want and what their rights are. This is about the child. And the more that loves her the better, don't you think? If you feel that having contact would be something that would benefit your daughter, maybe you could contact your ex's family members and ask them if they are interested in being in her life. Just because your ex is a no good piece of crap (which he of course is if he hasn't cared about his own daughter) doesn't mean that his family is. Of course they could have contacted you, but there may be a reason why they haven't. Of course I don't know the situation and as the mother you know what is best for your child, but I thought I'd give you my input if it would help.

Good luck,

Rocktosh
    fed up Posts: 91, Reputation: 6

Sep 24, 2006, 07:34 PM
    Do you intend to tell the child when she is older that the man who raised her is not her biological father? She will have a lot of questions about her fathers side of the family. Think about the future before you make a decision. You may save yourself a huge headache down the road. Good luck. There really isn't any right or wrong is there?
    Ebz Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2006, 02:51 AM
    I am adopted! But I totally think that you are wrong and you should let your child see at least her dad on jail visiting days! If I was your daughter, I would be wanting to be seeing my dad really bad, and I would want you to take me to see him, but if you didn't take me to see him then I would ask if I could at least see my grandparents!

Just sit your daughter down and tell her what people she is alowd to see
    fed up Posts: 91, Reputation: 6

Dec 27, 2006, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingmama
    I had a little girl a couple of years ago with my ex-husband. I am now currently remarried and my husband has taken on a wonderful father role. My daughter’s biological father hasn’t been in the picture for over 3 years. He hasn’t had contact with us in over 2 years. I have not contacted his family for visitations. I figure if they wanted visitations they would contact me. My ex is jail for a number of severe “mistakes”, yet my mother states that I should allow my daughter to see her “daddy’s” side of the family even though they haven’t seen her in 3 years. Am I wrong for keeping my daughter from an entire family who just walked away??
    If your ex's family wanted to see her they would have approached you by now I would think. We have a grandaughter that is not living with her biological father. She has a wonderful relationship with him and his side of the family. I made it a point to stay in this child's life. She is our flesh and blood. It is difficult at times as her father is our son and I must say an excellent father. There have been issues with the mother and us but we solved those in court. If your daughter expresses interest in the future about her other grandparents then you will have to make a decision. Good luck.
    troubledmaiden2255 Posts: 4, Reputation: 0

Dec 28, 2006, 12:05 AM
    Okay. I am a girl whose dad walked away too. See, I never talk with my dad, but his family are very close to me. But the question is, do you trust the dad? He makes "mistakes" after all. The worst thing a parent could do is not be honest with their kids. Let your girl know what her options are. Ask her if she's happy. Cause I would just leave things the way they are. I mean If you get involved with his family, a lot more drama could happen. Make an ups and downs chart you know?
    jrussole Posts: 163, Reputation: 12
    -

Dec 30, 2006, 06:51 AM
    lovingmama, if the deadbeat spineless scums family hasn't made an effort to know their child, than they aren't worth you or your child's energy. But if they have inquired about your child and have made an effort, then if I were you- I would consider it. But I wouldn't go out of my way, if they haven't. You can't make people care about anything if they lack the ability to love. Especially, a child. I would pity them, actually. Just look what you have and what they chose not to receive!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 30, 2006, 07:16 AM
    First, let me point out that lovingmama opened this thread on June 12, 2006! That was the only post she has ever made here. We don't know if she even found her way back to view the answers.

First Rocktosh revived the thread in Sept after several months of no activity. A few months later Ebz revived it again. PEOPLE PLEASE!!!!! LOOK AT THE DATES BEFORE YOU RESPOND TO A THREAD!!!!! Check the history to see if the OP ever came back.

Since we are clearly not giving advice to the OP anymore, this is now a discussion of what would be right. In my opinion, It would be wrong to deny a birth parent and his family the opportunity to be a part of the child's life. That being said, I see no reason why the custodial parent needs to go out of the way allow such an opportunity. If the family makes an attempt then, by all means, give them the chance.

As for visiting a parent in jail, I would not do this for a child of less than 8, maybe 10 depending on maturity level. Though a little baby who wouldn't remember the visit might be bought in. But a toddler of 3-4 (as the OP's child apparently was) is not the right age for such a visit.
    jrussole Posts: 163, Reputation: 12
    -

Dec 30, 2006, 07:56 AM
    lovingmama,
    You are not wrong in protecting your child. And if the family hasn't wanted or requested to see your child than I wouldn't waste my time with them. And if you happen to lurk on your question from time to time. At least you will know that some of us still care. You can't make someone who doesn't care about you or your child care. And I wouldn't go out of my way to turn their light bulb on.
    grl_next_door Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2007, 12:50 PM
    I don't think your wrong at all. My daughter is fixing to be 9 and her biological father has only seen her once and I have never received one cent in child support. He asked me why I didn't have an abortion. To explain things nicely, I basically told him where he could stick it. If him or his family hasn't made an effort , write them off and carry on. That's what I did. It's a lot less complicated without him. I wouldn't want my daughter to have to witness how much of a waste of flesh her biological dad is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is wrong with my dog? [ 11 Answers ]

I have a 6 year old female black lab. She is the most faithful eater I know but she has eaten since Tuesday... 6/21/05. All she wants to do is lay around and sleep. Granted it's been hot and I am sure the heat wears on her BUT she always eats. She TELLS me when it's breakfast and dinner time....

Is it wrong? [ 10 Answers ]

I was wondering everyone's feedback on the question is it wrong for man to feel less of himself if his girlfriend has slept with more guys then he has women?Is it wrong for him to want to go out and match her or destroy her total?I haven't been a man to want to conquer the universe until I met my...

What am I doing wrong? [ 8 Answers ]

:( I am a frustrated single mom with a 12 y/o boy. His father has always been there for us, even though we seperated when our child was four. I was fifteen when I had him and still have never married. His father recently is in the process of getting divorced from his wife and has moved to...

What's wrong now [ 1 Answers ]

I have a centurion wall clock it works but after a few hours the pendelum will stop moving and the time will stop what causes this to do this?

Is something wrong? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 24 years old and 2 years ago I got pregnant when the condom broke and had an abortion because I was not ready at the time and the relationship was so new. I have not been using any contraceptives for the past 6 months because we are now ready to have a child, and now I am not getting pregnant....

View more questions Search