Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ryhannahd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 09:56 AM
    How long am I entitled to my husband's health benefits?
    My husband and I have been living apart for a year.he is going to we the people for divorce papers.am I still entitled to health benefits?also,am I entitled to his 401k?we do not have attorneys at this time.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2008, 12:24 PM

Are you entitled? Sounds like a democrat to me. OOPS, sorry, wrong forum. You can mutually agree on anything. Since you do not have an attorney involved, it is up to you two to finally sit down and talk. If he offers health insurance coverage for you, then well and good, if he does not offer and is unwilling to give it to you, I guess you are basically out of luck. Typically the two parties have to negotiate and come to a mutual agreement on splitting everything that was accumulated during the marriage. That includes the bills. Some states have community property laws that you must adhere to. The 401K is the same as the health insurance, if you can come to an agreement on splitting it, then good for you, but don't hold out any hopes unless you get a shark of a lawyer and fight for everything you believe that you deserve.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 03:24 PM

Normally you can not be covered under his group insurance, since you will no longer be married, but you may ask for him to pay a dollar figure for it, if there is a reason he should, Have you not worked in years, been dependent up on him

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Long Term Health Care Insurance [ 5 Answers ]

What is everyone's thoughts on Long Term Health Care Ins. Insurance is always a gamble but with the cost of health care skyrocketing and the limitations of Medicare , I sometimes think having it would be a good thing. There is Medicaid but I have been in some of the facilities that cater to...

What he is entitled to [ 6 Answers ]

Hi my mother inlaw has been divorced for about 23yrs... she has been with her new partner for about 20yrs... she recently passed away. Her will says that the house belongs entirely to her boys. My question, is her partner entitled to half the house although her will says no. Please note that we...

Lookng for home health care tips for fianc?'s mom who has a replaced hip that no long [ 3 Answers ]

We are seeking advice to help us take care of my fiance's mother. She is 92 and has had 4 hip replacements in her life, 3 on one hip. It is that hip that is causing the most problems now. Recently, after sitting for a while, when she tries to rise from the chair and walk she is unable to do so...

Health Insurance Benefits [ 1 Answers ]

Where do I file health insurance benefits we paid for an independent contractor?

Know my career,my fathers health and my moms health [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am sonal,studying in t.y.bsc in microbiology. Usually attending college is like a burden for me,I fear a lot in public attention,sometimes even start shivering while giving presentations,due to fear I can't even concentrate in my studies and get poor marks even ,I don't feel like going to...

View more questions Search