Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    and123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Employment agreement breach
    My husband used to be a consultant through a consulting company and recently joined his client as an employee. This has been done by many other consultants from this company, without any consequences. We got singled out and received a notice from their lawyer last Friday that there's a hearing scheduled tomorrow in Michigan (where the consulting company is based). The notice was delivered by FedEx and it was just lying on our door (no receipt signature taken). We think that it's a very short notice, and due to work, he cannot go to Michigan for the hearing.

What are the consequences of not appearing in the court? Do we need a lawyer to represent us for tomorrow?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 4, 2008, 09:20 AM

What are they suing for? If you don't show, they win by default. You can contact the court stating you didn't recevied sufficient notice and request a later hearing date.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2008, 06:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by and123 View Post
    We got singled out and received a notice from their lawyer last Friday that there's a hearing scheduled tomorrow in Michigan (where the consulting company is based). The notice was delivered by FedEx and it was just lying on our door (no receipt signature taken). We think that it's a very short notice, and due to work, he cannot go to Michigan for the hearing.
    Hello and:

Lawsuits do NOT start that way. Therefore, either you've been through LOTS of summons's and complaints. And lots of answers, and lots of time to prepare...

OR, this ISN'T a COURT hearing.

Please read the notice again, and tell us EXACTLY what it says, and WHO it's from.

excon
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 5, 2008, 09:53 AM

Sounds like the consulting company is trying to figure out how to be reimbursed by the client company for hiring your husband. Usually the consulting contract stipulates that a payment is due if the client hires a consultant. So I would guess that this "hearing" is really just a meeting with company HR and their lawyers. But as Excon says - let us know precisely what the notice says. Also, did your husband sign any form of employment contract with the consulting company that limits his ability to accept employment by a client company?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breach of lease agreement? [ 3 Answers ]

I rent a 2 bedroom apartment with my girlfriend. I own 2 cars and she owns one. When we initially signed up I made sure to ask about parking for 3 cars and they assured me that since we were renting a 2 bedroom apartment it was fine for us to have 3 cars and they issued me 3 parking passes. ...

Has landlord breach lease agreement? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently signed a two year lease with the owners of a cooperative apartment bldg. the lease was signed by the president of the board for the cooperative at the time. Verbal consent was given to me by the president of the board who signed the lease to bring some of my furniture two days before the...

Landlord breach Of lease Agreement. My rights? [ 3 Answers ]

I moved in on Jan14th and in the 6mos lease a agreement we signed the landlord agreed to have the back yard put in within 90 days time. This a brand new house so the front yard is in but not the backyard yet. I just renewed another 6 os lease as of July 14 08 and with the same terms and conditions...

Breach of lease agreement on landlords side [ 1 Answers ]

:mad: We(me and my girlfriend) moved into a place in Hawaii that the landlord said that our dog would be allowed, we signed the lease aggrement stating that the number of occupents would be 2+1 pet. The day that we moved in the resident manager came to our door and told us that dogs were not...

View more questions Search