Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BiWiccanAndProud Posts: 530, Reputation: 25

Nov 3, 2008, 07:02 PM
    The Jessica Law
    Can someone please explain the Jessica Law to me? I won't go into why.
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 04:16 PM
    Jessica's Law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, it mandates huge mandatory minimum sentences for sexual assault on a child under 12.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 06:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    Jessica's Law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Basically, it mandates huge mandatory minimum sentences for sexual assault on a child under 12.

I don't what you consider to be a "huge" mandatory sentence for sexual assault on a child under 12. Twenty-five years for raping a child? That's huge?

That having been said it's my understanding that it's a Florida law which other States have reworded and passed (sort of the boilerplate example of what other States have written) and there are attempts to make it Federal Law. It's controversial in many States and on the Federal level. The family of the kidnapped, raped and murdered girl fought long and hard to get this particular law passed in memory of their daughter, sister and grandchild.

The provisions in Florida are: ".. [it] requires twice yearly reregistration by sexual predators; provides criminal offenses for failing to reregister, failing to respond to address verification, failing to report or providing false information about sexual predator, & harboring or concealing sexual predator; requires electronic monitoring for certain offenders placed on conditional release supervision, etc. Amends FS."
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Nov 17, 2008, 08:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I don't what you consider to be a "huge" mandatory sentence for sexual assault on a child under 12. Twenty-five years for raping a child? That's huge?
    Also of note, "In Florida, sexual battery or rape of a child less than twelve years old is punishable only by life imprisonment with no chance of parole"

I live in Florida so that's the line I was most commenting on. Got to love that word 'only'.
    BiWiccanAndProud Posts: 530, Reputation: 25

Dec 7, 2008, 09:31 PM

I wanted to thank everyone who posted the issue regarding this has be resolved. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Douglas Hofmann "Jessica" Print [ 1 Answers ]

I have a sister-in-law that recently lost her husband. After settling the estate she asked me to sell some items. I don't have a strong background in selling, but I do have an appreciation for the work. I am looking to sell and/or find the current value of the following: 1) Signed Douglas...

Finding Jessica [ 5 Answers ]

I'm not sure if this is the right topic area but here goes anyway... I'm looking for a lost friend of mine her name is Jessica Cline. She would be the same age as myself about 18 and a senior in high school. She attended clear creek elementary in Fort Hood Texas in 1996 and 1997 perhaps longer...

Hey, This Is Jessica Simpson! [ 8 Answers ]

:p so I have this problem see. I met this man back in 1996 and he was the best man I had ever dated. I was in love with him and he said he felt the same way and boy all my friends loved him. He was the only guy they didn't tell me I should watch out for. You should have seen the way his face lit...

View more questions Search