Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    november3 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2008, 06:55 PM
    Request to reduce alimony payments
    We want to ask the court for permission to spread out remaining alimony/child support payments over a longer period and reduce each monthly payment since it is tough to pay the full amount right now. We do not want to involve our attorney who has dismissed himself from the case, nor do we want to hire a new attorney. Can we direct this question to the court? To the judge?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 06:57 PM

What exactly are you trying to achieve ?

Nov 3, 2008, 07:03 PM
    We want to pay less ($500) for the next 72 months instead of the required $1000 for the next 36 months. This will give us an additional $500 per month to pay other obligations since our income has been reduced in this economy.
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 07:07 PM

If you have gotten a reduction in income you will have to file for a modification of the support order. But depending on the current situation I don't believe it will be cut in half. Is the bulk of your payment child support ? If so then during the modification you might ask if it can be changed to " family support " even if you keep the same payment. The major difference is child support is not tax deductable where family support is and that could save a bundle on your takes and offset the higher payment.

Nov 3, 2008, 07:10 PM
    Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how we file for the modification? Do we do so directly with the court or do we need an attorney?
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 07:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by november3 View Post
    Thanks for the info. Can you tell me how we file for the modification? Do we do so directly with the court or do we need an attorney?
    Again it mostly depends on your state. Most states do allow you to represent yourself and in that case you woould deal directly with the courts. Some states allow for a para-legal and what they do is help fill out paperwork for a fee. They aren't allowed to provide any " legal " advice because that would be practicing law. So their powers are limited in scope but can help with the filings and help with having the other parties served.

What state is this action taking place in ?
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2008, 07:22 PM

It is always easier with an attorney but not necessary. If you want to file but what calif asked will make a huge difference. How much of that is child support vs. alimoney? They are very different especially when it comes to tax purposes. What state are you in? I ask because each state has a different percentage by which your pay had to of decreased before you could ask for a modification of child support most are 15% but some like mine are 20%.

Nov 3, 2008, 07:53 PM
    My husband's ex lives in NC. We live in VA.
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 08:03 PM
    My husband's ex lives in NC. We live in VA.
    This is for NC. You might spend some time navigating the site and its resources.

26th Judicial District SelfServe Center

They have a lot on there including forms. Also there are self help clinics which you might be able to attend.

Nov 3, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Thank you for all of your advice and info.
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 08:10 PM
    Thank you for all of your advice and info.
    Your welcome. And if you get things settled come back and let us know the outcome so we all can learn from it.. thanks

Keep us posted.. Good Luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alimony payments [ 1 Answers ]

I am disabled and filling for divorce.I work parttime, If I get alimony,is that considered taxable income? And will that change my benefits?

Sue for alimony [ 4 Answers ]

I married in the State of Virginia, on 1 December 2008. My question is: If I divorce my husband on the grounds of drinking and abuse, could he sue me for alimony? We bought nothing together, I owned everything before we married. He did not have a job, but now he does.

Alimony [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Advice, I divorced and live in California, due to the high cost of living, I am contemplating to move back home in Texas. Can my ex-husband ask the court for the amount of alimony awarded be adjusted? Since then, I have also earned my Bachelor’s in Science in education but, is still not...

Alimony [ 2 Answers ]

HEllo, I am having a problem with my alimony. See I pay on a regular; but now I have a new woman in my life and she is pregnet. I was wondering is there any way to lower my alimony payments or to stop them in any way? I have two step kids as well and I am trying to remarry, so I would like to...

View more questions Search