Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miguelina1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2008, 05:26 PM
    Change my child's last name
    I have a 6 year old daughter who has her biological father's last name, although he did not sign the birth certificate no acknowledge paternity in the courts. He does not nor has he ever paid any child support. He has no contact what so ever with her. The only father she knows is my new husband and we want her to have his last name. Can I do this? And How?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2008, 05:36 PM

Hi, miguelina1!

Greetings and WELCOME to the site! I just moved your question that you had posted in Introductions to this topic area so that it would get the most exposure to those who are best able to answer it. Introductions is for people to introduce themselves and we try to not ask questions there.

We would appreciate it if you would return to Introductions sometime to tell us a little about yourself though, if you would be willing to do that.

Thanks!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 05:42 PM

Mig. As far as I know, the only way that you can legally change the name of your child is to have her bio dad give her up for adoption, and have your current husband adopt her.

The bio dad would have to agree to this though.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 07:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    Mig. As far as I know, the only way that you can legally change the name of your child is to have her bio dad give her up for adoption, and have your current husband adopt her.

The bio dad would have to agree to this though.
    This is not correct in any way.

You don't need an adoption for a name change but you do need the bio dads permission to do so. Or at least make an honest court approved effort in trying to find him. Why didn't you go to court for child support ?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2008, 12:57 AM

Hello miguelina1! Welcome to AMHD!

Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3
    This is not correct in any way.

You dont need an adoption for a name change but you do need the bio dads permission to do so. Or atleast make an honest court approved effort in trying to find him. Why didnt you go to court for child support ?
    Not correct in any way, but still the last part correct? Is that called 'not correct in any way'?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    Hello miguelina1! Welcome to AMHD!

Not correct in any way, but still the last part correct? Is that called 'not correct in any way'?
    Not sure what your getting at ? The answer about having to adopt wasn't correct at all.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 04:14 PM

Unky, don't worry, if I'm wrong then I'm wrong. I did stae in my post "as far as I know", I never said I know for sure.

If Califdad is correct then I'm glad he corrected me. I answered because no one else did, the OP is new, and I didn't want her to get discouraged and leave without at least an attempt at an answer.

No worries at all. :)
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Nov 4, 2008, 11:36 PM

Ok, forget it califdadof3.

I was just saying that you said that it was not correct in any way but still, you did say that the last part was correct, that is about the bio dad's permission. If it was not correct in any way, then nothing would be correct.

Ok, don't worry, it's all forgotten. I was not really arguing, but mostly confused about your post. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A child's last name [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I'm about to have a daughter and am going through a dilema. Her father says that it will be easier for her if she has only a first and a last name. Whichever tha last name. Mine or his. But I believe that it will be better if she has one last name of mine and one from his side. Not thinking...

Child's name change [ 1 Answers ]

How can I change my toddlers last name to mine in Indiana? Her father and I were never married. He does see her and pay child support pretty regularly. I am the custodial parent.

How to Change child's last name [ 2 Answers ]

My son was born 5 years ago. His father wasn't there to sign the birth certificate. How can I change my son's last name to my married name and have my ex to sign over his rights? He doesn't see our son and our son has said on a number of times he doesn't want to see his biological father anymore....

Wife won't change child's last name to Mine? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, my wife won't change her last name or my daughter's last name to mine. Her excuse is that for her to change her last name it would be difficult because she has a business. I believe it is incorporated. She owns 2 houses that she rents out. Her excuse for not changing my daughter's is that...

Minor child's last name change parents never married both last names on Birth certifi [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is 10 and I need to know how to change her last name. Both last names of the parent and non custodial parents last names are on the Birth certificate (hyphenated) but she only uses one name, however schools she attends uses both with the non custodial parents last name first. She...

View more questions Search