Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bozoman66 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2004, 06:49 PM
    Maple tree roots and septic fields
    My home is in a new sub and the association has planted a maple tree in the peninsula between the side walk and street. The concern I have is that my septic field is about fifteen feet away from where the tree is. How deep do the roots grow? Should I take this tree out and plant a different type of tree that won't reach my field? :-/
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 18, 2004, 06:53 PM
    Re: maple tree roots and septic fields
    I don't think maples are too bad. I would leave it unless it is a Silver Maple. The silver maples are cheap and fast growing. However their shallow roots cause problems with lawns and sidewalks. They are also prone to wind damage. Recognize them by their deeply cut leaves, silver underside, and silver bark.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maple Roots [ 2 Answers ]

I have this maple in my front yard and a lot of the roots are growing above ground and spreading across my lawn. I was thinking of putting a load of top soil and planting some ivy on top. Any feedback or suggestions? Its getting real hard to mow what little grass that does grow. Ampman

Cutting maple tree roots [ 1 Answers ]

I am digging a 18" diameter hole for a carport footing. There is a 3 1/3 root that runs through the place where the hole is. The hole is about 20 feet from the tree and the root is about 2 feet from the surface. The tree is at least 40 years old and over 40 feet tall. Can I cut this root without...

Covering maple tree roots [ 3 Answers ]

I have two red maples in my lawn whose roots I want to cover with mounds of "river rock" (about the size of tennis balls). Any problem?

Maple tree roots. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I purchased a 1922 Colonial on Long Island and in the front yard, about 20 feet from the house, is a grand old maple tree. It is between the sidewalk and the curb and is tearing up part of my sidewalk and curb. I really don't want to take the tree down and I'd rather have a contractor come...

View more questions Search