Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thutchings Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2008, 09:31 AM
    How to adopt my niece at birth, parents are signing over rights
    I need to know how to adopt my niece who will be born in march. My sister is giving me the baby and I can take her from the hospital at birth. Both parents are signing over all rights immediately. Do I need to do anything legally before the birth?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Contact a family law attorney so that you can have all your ducks in a row when the baby comes.
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Nov 3, 2008, 08:02 PM
    You would need to start on the adoption papers so that you can take the child from the hospital. It would be best to consult with a lawyer about this to insure all the T's are crossed, if you know what I mean. Since she's family, I'm not sure legally what you'd need before you could go home with the baby. The adoption papers are, from my understanding, signed after the birth of the child, but if the parents have signed over parental rights, then the papers is all that is standing in your way.

Best of luck to you !
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 09:53 PM

While you can't do anything * at least sign anything* but you need an attorney and have the paper work ready to have signed and to take to the court for a judge to approve
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 4, 2008, 06:56 AM

Birthparents can not legally sign away parental rights before the birth of a child.

I really suggest that you see a lawyer, and that your sister see a counselor that specilizes in adoption.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Arizona - Signing away a parents rights [ 4 Answers ]

I live in Arizona and have a question on a parent rights, specifically how to sign off your rights. My ex-fiancé recently had our baby. After she left me she told me that she wanted nothing to do with me and did not want me in the child’s life. She has asked me to stay away and sign away my...

Signing over parents rights [ 2 Answers ]

What do I need to go through to have my children's father sign his rights over its been over a year since we have spoken and I am due to be married and my boyfriend wants to adopted my children I live in the state of Texas if anyone know anything please give me some feed back

How to adopt an infant with the father not signing the birth certificate? [ 7 Answers ]

I had a baby awhile ago and the male that I had it with wasn't a very good man and was a poor judgement on my side. I have moved on and currently am soon to be getting married. It was never my choice that he didn't sign the birth certificate and he had many options to do so. He claims that he...

Can a minor birth mother's parents relinquish rights to the birth father? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Here's the situation: the soon-to-be birth mother is 16, still living with her parents and attending school. The birth father is 18, still lives with his parents but has a job and is generally responsible. The parents of the birth mother want her to put the baby up for adoption and move on...

Signing over my rights (her husband wants to adopt) [ 2 Answers ]

I live in summit county Ohio and I am wondering how to sign over my rights and let him adopt my son. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance. Bill

View more questions Search