Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwr9 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 10:00 PM
    Furnace blowing cold air
    My gas hot air furnace was working fine, then I noticed it had started blowing cold air. When the heat cycle starts now the venter fan and the blower both start immediately, which I know is not right. The igniter never gets hot and gas never flows. The diagnostic led is blinking 4 times which the manual says means an open high limit switch. I checked the limit switch with a multi meter and it appears to be fine. Just to be sure I jumped the switch and it still said the switch was open. The model number of the furnace is PBKM-LD12N080f and appears to be manufactured by Unitary Products Group of York, Pa. Thanks for any advice.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 2, 2008, 10:07 PM
    First did you track down the switch you tested on the diagram on the back of the blower door and make sure you are testing the high limit switch and not some other switch?

Usually York is pretty accurate on there codes and that switch when open will cause the both blowers to run as a safety measure

Nov 2, 2008, 10:46 PM

Yup, it's the limit switch, I even checked the part number on it to make sure.

Nov 2, 2008, 11:09 PM
    Then You are going to have to start checking devices

Find the auxilery limit part number 025-30321-700 and test it.

Nov 4, 2008, 05:45 PM
    I checked the 2 secondary limit switches and the 3 rollout switches. None are open. I also checked the pressure switch and it seems to be operating as it should. I checked the wires on the limit switches and rollout switches for continuity and they seem to be OK. Not much more to check as far as I can see. Is there any way to test the circuit board itself? Thanks for any more advice.

Nov 4, 2008, 05:57 PM
    Have you checked if the ignitor gets voltage or if the ignitor is defective?

No way I know of to check the board.
    dac122 Posts: 463, Reputation: 17

Nov 4, 2008, 08:11 PM

Unplug the igniter and see if you are getting voltage. If everything else checks out you need a new control module. Sometime if you dismount them you can see or smell what's been cooked.

Nov 11, 2008, 07:30 PM
    I finally got back to checking the furnace. I unplugged the igniter and checked with a meter and it does not appear to be getting any voltage. I get about 80 ohms when I check the igniter itself which I believe is within the acceptable range. I also put the meter on the transformer and I get 120 volts on the primary side, but I'm not getting anything on the secondary side, which I believe should be 24 volts dc.
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Nov 11, 2008, 07:56 PM

24 volts ac, not dc.

Nov 11, 2008, 08:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkwithaK View Post
    24 volts ac, not dc.
    Yes, hopefully that was a typo. If your multimeter is set to DC I think it will show no voltage. Make sure you're measuring A/C.

Nov 11, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Sounds like a transformer at this point. Check it again on the A/C setting instead of D/C on your meter just to be sure.

Nov 12, 2008, 09:47 PM

That was my mistake. I checked it with the meter set on AC and I got 24 volts.

Nov 13, 2008, 03:47 AM
    If no voltage at the circuit board for the ignitor then the board might be defective.

You have already checked all other parts?

Nov 13, 2008, 10:17 PM

I have checked all the limit switches, rollout switches, and the pressure switch along with all the wiring associated with those switches. It all checks out OK. The igniter tests OK, but there is no voltage at the connecter that the igniter plugs into. Once I checked it correctly the transformer also checked OK. The led still flashes 4 times which is supposed to mean the limit switch is open. I'm afraid the circuit board is bad at this point. I'm not sure there is much else to check.

Nov 14, 2008, 12:30 AM
    At this point I have to agree with the circuit boad diag. I have no idea how old the unit is or how much the circuit board costs. Make sure to mark down exactly where all the wires go before removal. See if you can find a part number on the board and post it.

Nov 14, 2008, 06:32 AM

If everything checks out and you're still not getting voltage from the board terminals then its probably your circuit board. Unfortunately, they are too complicated to diagnose without this kind of process of elimination.

Take some pics before you yank out the old board, or as suggested write a map. Sometimes when you get the old one out you can see or smell where it has failed.

Let us know how you make out.

Nov 19, 2008, 04:50 PM

I got my new circuit board today and installed it. The furnace still doesn't work, but the new board is giving me a different error. The led on the new board is flashing red rapidly. According to the installation instructions for the new board this means "Twinning error, incorrect 24v phasing. Check twinning wiring." I'm not sure what that means. Can someone tell me what the twinning wiring is?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 19, 2008, 05:49 PM

Make sure you have reconnected the thermostat wires correctly. There should be no thermostat wires connected to the twin location on board. The twinning is only used if you have two furnaces controlled by one thermostat.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 19, 2008, 05:49 PM
    Are you absolutely possitive that you haven't missed a limit somewhere?

Nov 19, 2008, 06:12 PM
    Try reversing the two low voltage 24 volt power wires that are from the transformer. It will change the Phase sequence. OR

You might have the 120 volt circuit reversed feeding the furnace. Check to make sure the neutral(usually white wire) is reading as a ground wire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace sometimes blowing cold air [ 7 Answers ]

We bought a brand-new house in May 2002. This winter (I don't think it happened last winter) when it got really cold outside, the furnace blew cold air. When it warms up outside, it starts blowing warm again. We had someone come and look at it and he told us it had a 30 degree heat pump?? And when...

My gas furnace is blowing cold air [ 11 Answers ]

:eek: my furnace is blowing cold air. Last night I noticed that my furnace was shuting off when the thermostat read 64 degrees. But we had the therm. Set to 70 degrees. Now today it is only blowing cold air I have tried turning it on and off again to spark some flame? That did nothing. Now the...

Furnace blowing cold air.starts out warm, goes to cold. [ 6 Answers ]

Hoping for help here. I recently had my ignitor replaced. Before that, the furnace wasn't working at all. Now it starts blowing warm (not hot) air, then gradually over a period of a couple of hours, the air cools down until it is completely cold and the temperature in the house drops drastically....

Gas Furnace blowing cold air. [ 1 Answers ]

I have just recently moved into a new house that has a gas furnace ( forced air) in it and we just had to replace the ignitor. Well now its finally working but when its on and blowing warm air after a few minutes it starts to blow out cool air! I just need to know if I need to adjust anything on...

Furnace blowing cold air. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Trane XE90 furnace that is 6 years old. The pilot is lit but it blows cold air and runs for long periods. I had it serviced including a fliter change in April and the technician said the high limit switch was stuck he got it to work but said it would not last very long. Can you...

View more questions Search