Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    volkswagenfmhs Posts: 28, Reputation: 0
    -

Jun 11, 2006, 06:50 PM
    Being an artist
    Being an artist is what I really want to do, but the money part is the only thing holding me and that I want to move to europe. Are there any people who make aliving by just painting and sculpting... I am very good and I make more avant garde things; not any landscapes or still life... help?
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2006, 07:19 PM
    Well I'm an artist and I made a living on my art before I had my baby (not an amazing living, but enough to live on and save a bit of extra money). I don't think it has as much to do with how good of an artist you are (unless you're like a Picasso, or else very lucky), as it has to do with being a good business person. If you are able to think not only about what you like to draw and paint but also what people will likely spend money on and have a target audience, then you can be successful. For example, I didn't just have exhibitions of my artwork in order to make money. I also did portrait work... like I'd set up in a mall and draw people's portraits, or portraits of their pets. I went to art shows not just to display my art but also to hand out business cards, offering commissions and also private art lessons. I taught art classes at a community centre, and art therapy at a hospice. Then I got into illustrating children's books and magazines, and making greeting cards.

Have you had any formal training, such as art or design school? Do you belong to any artist's associations? Sometimes just being able to say that you've got a degree in Fine Art and/or belong to an organization of professional artists will make galleries take your work more seriously. It's also good to try getting as much exposure as you can, until you are well-known in your particular art community. That means submitting your portfolio to lots of local shows, galleries, events, etc, as well as advertising yourself by having a website, business cards, your own studio, etc. I found teaching was really good exposure for me, because people would then tell others about my work. There are also many good art websites online where you can display your portfolio and add a link back to your website.

I've only been to Europe as part of my art training in university (our class went to various areas of Europe for trips), so I can't really comment on moving there. If I were you though, I would get involved in your local art community, and perhaps ask around to see if others have spent time in Europe, how they did it, where they stayed, etc.

Anyway I wish you lots of success, it's great to be able to live off your work, and you can do it with some careful planning, good business sense and constant striving!
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 11, 2006, 07:21 PM
    First it's a realtor, then an artist. . How about a realtor who does art on the side since most artists tend to starve a bit on their own? Its good to be so interested in life! Its good to have dreams and hopes and goals too! You have an open exploring mind - that is good!

I don't know if someone who has moved to Paris, knows real estate and made it as an artist will show up here and know how to help you. You are asking too broad of a question.

You need a one step at a time plan, to get you from here to there. First step is to finish the school you are in. When you get in your final year, talk to school counselors, your family and even us here about how to plan the continued studies you'll need to realise your dreams.

You'll need to study french, real estate and art. Get the required credentials and degrees and begin to earn a living so you can save a bunch of money. First chance you get, you can visit abroad to further research how you can eventually move there. All one step at a time.

I hope that helps, Volkswagenfmhs!
    volkswagenfmhs Posts: 28, Reputation: 0
    -

Jun 11, 2006, 08:58 PM
    I really want to move to paris and I thought being a realtor would be a good way since americans with a lot of money want to go there I guess, but I really want to paint to, I can already speak the french
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2006, 09:25 PM
    I didn't realize you were already studying to be a realtor.

In that case a good plan would be to :

1. finish your studies as Val suggests,

2. work as a realtor long enough to save the money to move,

3. get a work permit for France,

4. move to France,

5. work as a realtor in France for money, while developing as an artist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who is the artist of this song? [ 7 Answers ]

The lyrics go something like... "What's the worst thing I could say, things are better if I stay. So long and good night, so long and good night!"

Artist name? [ 4 Answers ]

It was a stupid song but I heard it the other day and wondered if anyone knew it. It was a rap remake of "ohh sugar sugar, oh honey honey, will you be my candy girl" except it was freaky girl in the new version. Thanks for any help.

I need a song and the artist [ 3 Answers ]

Please give me a list of song together with their artist.

Need name of songs or artist.Please help [ 1 Answers ]

http://2104.nm.ru/Music/F006_32.MP3 http://2104.nm.ru/Music/F004_32.mp3 http://2104.nm.ru/Music/F005_32.mp3 Thanks

View more questions Search