Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Twmac Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2006, 03:48 PM
    Upgrade to xp
    Quick question.If I do and upgrade of windows me with windows home edition will I keep the data I have on that drive.Thanks in advance.
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 11, 2006, 06:06 PM
    In xp there is an option for this so I'd say yes it retains your data and programs, it just overwrites the op sys. To be sure of saving your data you can install another hard drive and copy all of your data to that, then unplug it and upgrade. When your upgrade is finished, turn off the puter and plug in the other hard drive.
    I have had numerous crashes and have done this procedure.
    Flintstones1962 Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Jun 22, 2006, 05:34 AM
    Hello,
    I've done an upgrade from ME to XP and nothing lost, the installation process saves your data before installing XP and reinstall everything again.

Greetings,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 22, 2006, 06:27 AM
    If you use the Upgrade version of XP and do it as an upgrade, not a fresh install, then your data should be preserved. Best to back it up just in case.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Upgrade [ 1 Answers ]

What should I buy to make my honda civic go fast but not spending too much ?

Gas piping upgrade [ 6 Answers ]

I am consider installing a tankless water heater. The gas line that goes to my current hot water tank is a 1/2 inch galvanized drop from a 3/4 line in the attic. This 3/4 line seems to come off a reducer coupling from the main supply line that is at least a 1.4 inch size. The unit I am considering...

Upgrade 8.6 to 9 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Power PC, Power Macintosh 9600/233 it is running OS 8.6. I would like to install either OS 9 or X. I have both CDs bun niether work >:(. How can I install them? Thank you :)

Xp upgrade [ 3 Answers ]

Would it be feasible to upgrade a 98SE, Compaq,amdk6,256ram,10g h.d. to xphome? It is only used to store word docs and access internet

MB CPU upgrade [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Thinking of upgrading Mboard and cpu in current PC. Can I keep HD's intact or do they need to be reformatted and reloaded with programs and files? THanks Stu

View more questions Search