Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2008, 05:34 PM
    We want to rent the air over your house.
    I'm really unsure of what category to put this in.

The business next door to us wants to erect cranes to complete their building project. They have contacted me and three other neighbors, in person. Their cranes will pass over our houses during 20 months of construction. They want to rent the air space and are prepared to compensate us.

What type of compensation should I expect or ask for? What type of safety issues should I be worried about? Should the four neighbors involved present a united front? Do we need a lawyer?

Thanks.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2008, 07:15 PM

I vote for getting together and hiring a lawyer.
    I don't know the lay of the land but I can't think of a good reason for them to swing loads over adjacent properties. Do they plan to reach across your property to another lot on the other side of your property, to pick up materials? What liability will they have if damage is done to your property? My first reaction would be--No, thank you!
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2008, 10:02 AM

They said that no heavy loads would be moved while the crane was in my airspace, just the boom?
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2008, 01:00 PM

Of course, the boom itself is a very heavy load. Maybe it is the counter weight of a stiff leg crane (like the ones used on high rise construction). There are accidents all the time with all types of cranes.
    How does your homeowner's insurance agent feel about it?
    Chances are the contractor has other ways to complete the work without bothering you folks.
    They usually do what is easiest and cheapest for them.
    I would talk to the neighbors involved and see if they will split the cost of the lawyer. And see if you have some options. You also may want to contact OSHA (or other safety agency) to see if this is in compliance, ageement or not.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should we buy a new house or rent? [ 2 Answers ]

We are in a dilemna. We currently need to move from the house that we are in (long story; basically, we just temporarily swapped homes with someone; but that's another story). We have been looking with a realtor at houses on the market for sale. There are a LOT of houses, some are good deals,...

House rent exemtion [ 1 Answers ]

I am single person doing job in delhi. My mother who is dependent to me is living in Saharanpur, U.P. I am living here in rented house and my mother is living in Saharanpur in rented house. Is \rent of both place can be exempted from Income tax in my salary

Owner of the House Lost House While We're Still Paying Him Rent [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently going through a somewhat messy situation.. My husband and I moved into this house in Victorville about 2 and a half years ago. The house was perfect and the rent was suitable and our 5 kids loved the neighborhood and their new schools. Well about three weeks ago this man had came over...

Work & rent in NJ, Own house in NY [ 1 Answers ]

I work and rent an apartment in NJ, but I own a house in NY with my boyfriend. At the beginning of 2006, I was not sure I was staying in NJ so I got a NY drivers license, license plates and registered to vote there. My work has been withholding NJ taxes, as it only has my NJ address. So I work...

View more questions Search