Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmccoy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 11:31 AM
    Association Lien
    My association put a lien on my house. Do they have to notifity me? How am I suppose to know what their next course of action is or does it just sit their unil it is satisfied? How can a court issue a lien without knowing both side to verify it the amount is correct or it the debt is even owed?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2008, 12:11 PM

Typically a Home Owner's Association, as well as contractors, can place liens against properties without actually going through the court to obtain a judgement. Because the debt (or alleged debt) is directly tied to the property itself - not just to you as an individual - with the proper documentation they're allowed to do it. I believe the burden of proof would fall to you, the property owner, to show that the debt is paid and they haven't lifted (or improperly placed) the lien. The purpose of the lien is so that you can't sell the property without them getting paid.

If you believe their figures are in error I'd recommend asking the treasurer of the association for a statement of your account from whatever date you believe it WAS correct to present. Then gather your cancelled checks or whatever payment proof you have and take it back to them. If they won't remove or adjust the lien, take your proof in to the county yourself...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homeowners Association Lien on my property [ 2 Answers ]

I sent the HOA a check in May 2006 for 50% of the annual fees as my house was under contract. I had to leave home to look after my mom for 4+ months. I returned to my Home in November 2006. I applied for a loan in January 2007 to help pay for my mom's Medical expenses, I was told by the lender...

Lien placed by condo association, but they owe me money! [ 6 Answers ]

I have had an issue with my condo association for about a year now over a roofing issue. By the way we (the condo owners) are responsible for our roofs (I know dumb decision on the associations part). Anyway, the association had replaced my siding due to leaks in my unit, and in the process my roof...

Lien assessed by HO Association [ 4 Answers ]

I have been approved for a short sale that was supposed to close last Wednesday. After title search was done, was informed that there is a lien for $700+ due to a HO association dues that were 90+ days late. ($103) Delayed closing till possibly next Thursday. I already paid the fees plus interest...

Home Owners Association Lien [ 4 Answers ]

Can a HOA notify resident that a lien will be placed upon property if homewowners dues are not paid in full

Homeowner association put a lien on my house [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a rental house in a community nearby and paid homeowner association dues and obey the rules ever since. Last fall the management company changed hand. Somehow the old company failed to deliver my real mailing address to the new company. It resulted in that I didn't receive any of the HOA...

View more questions Search