Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 11, 2006, 11:34 AM
    LDS harassment.
    Okay I am at my wits end. I was baptised as a mormon at age 9 or 10 because that is what my mother( the hypocrite) wanted.
    I was forced to go to church as a child even though at that age I had no real concept of the religion. As I grew up and got married and discovered what the religion was all about, I decided I did not want to be a mormon. They left me alone and I didn't hear from the church for years.
    Now since I have moved to a different state and remarried, they have tracked me down and every week for a year there would be some Lds at my door.
    I had a home teacher calling me 3 or 4 times a week. I finally made it more than clear that I wanted no part of the LDS, that I did NOT agree with all of their beliefs and I wanted to be taken off any and all phone, mailing and home visiting lists. I flat out said " I denounce the mormon religion"
    All was okay for about 6 months,, well they are back.
    The come to the house EVERY day looking for me, My kids tell them I am at work and then they call... some how I don't have a clue HOW. They got my cellphone # now they are leaving voice messages. I have blocked the numbers, yet they call from a different number every time..
    This is flat out harassment as far as I am concerned,, what do I have to do to make it stop?
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2006, 11:42 AM
    Well if you have told them several times to leave you alone, then it really IS harassment, legally speaking. Personally I would threaten to call the police. Then, if they still keep coming around, write down all the dates and times that they visited or called you, and then call the police and make a complaint against them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 11, 2006, 11:44 AM
    Of course by their rules once a mormon always a mormon. So you have merely lost your way in their opinion.

But try just calling the stake president and ask them ( nicely) just to stop coming by and bothering you.

( and honestly had it been someone other than you I would have said they are wrong, because all of the LDS I know well don't bother people that don't want to be bothered)

But what happens as a bapitised mormon you are on and will always be on their lists, so when you moved it triggered your name to go to the new area somehow.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2006, 12:04 PM
    I wonder how far a "no soliciting" sign can go. Never thought of it or pursued it, but you might check local authorities to see if you could puruse trespassing charges against someone who disobeys the sign.

... just a thought.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2006, 12:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    I wonder how far a "no soliciting" sign can go. Never thought of it or pursued it, but you might check local authorities to see if you could puruse trespassing charges against someone who disobeys the sign.

...just a thought.
    Yeah you would think that if you had such a sign, violation of it would be grounds to make a complaint or charge with the police. Unfortunately though that wouldn't work with the phone call part.

I don't know if you guys have this in the States, but here in Canada you can dial *57 right after receiving an unwanted or harassing phone call, and the phone company will automatically record the time, date and number of the call (even if the number is blocked). Then the police can access the record of calls (and note how many calls have been recorded, etc), when you make a formal complaint.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2006, 12:24 PM
    I often tell them I just got back from giving blood to the Red Cross and I thought I saw a few of their friends there.

Jun 11, 2006, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj

...just a thought.
    I put up a sign on my gate that says" NO TRESPASSING, NO PEDDLERS, NO MORMONS" still they come in the yard.. Legally it is my mother in laws property so I can not enforce the trespass..
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Jun 11, 2006, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy69
    Okay I am at my wits end. I was baptised as a mormon at age 9 or 10 because that is what my mother( the hypocrite) wanted.
    I was forced to go to church as a child even though at that age I had no real concept of the religion. As I grew up and got married and discovered what the religion was all about, I decided I did not want to be a mormon. They left me alone and I didn't hear from the church for years.
    Now since I have moved to a different state and remarried, they have tracked me down and every week for a year there would be some Lds at my door.
    I had a home teacher calling me 3 or 4 times a week. I finally made it more than clear that I wanted no part of the LDS, that I did NOT agree with all of their beliefs and I wanted to be taken off any and all phone, mailing and home visiting lists. I flat out said " I denounce the mormon religion"
    All was okay for about 6 months,,,, well they are back.
    The come to the house EVERY day looking for me, My kids tell them I am at work and then they call... some how I don't have a clue HOW. they got my cellphone # now they are leaving voice messages. I have blocked the numbers, yet they call from a different number every time..
    This is flat out harassment as far as I am concerned,,, what do I have to do to make it stop??

If you don't want ministers of any church calling at your door, a polite letter to the chief minister advising them of the same will do the trick. To have your family expunged from the records you need to write that in a letter to the chief minister of your congregation. That usually does the trick.

Let us know how you fare.

M:)RGANITE

Jun 11, 2006, 02:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    I often tell them I just got back from giving blood to the Red Cross and I thought I saw a few of their friends there.

You are confusing Mormons with Jehovah's Witnesses, I believe. Mormons have no proscription on giving and rceieving blood transfusions. You might be thinking of the old joke about Baptists in wine bars?

Jun 11, 2006, 02:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Of course by thier rules once a mormon always a mormon. so you have merley lost your way in thier opinion.

but try just calling the stake president and ask them ( nicely) just to stop comming by and bothering you.

( and honestly had it been someone other than you I would have said they are wrong, because all of the LDS I know well don't bother people that don't want to be bothered)

But what happens as a bapitised mormon you are on and will always be on thier lists, so when you moved it triggered your name to go to the new area somehow.

I agree. The approach, however should be to the congregational minister not the diocesan leader. A nicely set out letter making a formal polite request to have your name removed from membership rolls will do the trick. I know of some who have followed that course and their requests have always been honoured.

On the other hand, many Christians who have fallen from communion with their ministers and congregations complain that no one ever comes to see them. It seems they are damned if they do and damned if they don't!

Jun 11, 2006, 02:41 PM
    Thanks for all the help everyone. I appreciate it.
    I guess that is what I get for getting married to a young Brigham!

Jun 11, 2006, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormy69
    Thanks for all the help everyone. I appreciate it.
    I guess that is what I get for getting married to a young Brigham!

Whoever you are married to, just remember that you chose him!

:)

magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2006, 07:29 PM
    The upside to that is that as a Mormon, he will be GOD of his own planet some day and you are invited to follow him and worship him in all of his glory! You had better get down to the temple and get sealed if you haven't already though!:rolleyes:
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jun 14, 2006, 07:46 PM
    Ok guys I am morman don't go to church like I should. I am able to do whatever I want. It is not a cult. I have been to a lot of different churches.
    The morman church is the only one I will go back to. They don't shun me when I do show up once or twice a month. They treat me Like an old friend. They have never tried to force anything on me. It is freedom of choice. When I was growing up It was real hard to follow some of the rules but now that I have been out in the world. I believe there rules are easiest to follow.
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2006, 08:24 PM
    How many wife's do you have Demon? And be honest!

Jun 14, 2006, 09:00 PM
    Just one the LDS church doesn't practice poligamy anymore.
    You are thinking of the FLDS church and RLDS
    Ultra Member

Jun 14, 2006, 09:16 PM
    Even though Joseph Smith introduced it to the church and the Mormon people hang on every word that proceedeth out of brother Joseph's mouth?

Jun 14, 2006, 10:33 PM
    You are thinking of the RLDS church and the FLDS church.
    The LDS church did away with plural marriage when it was outlawed in the unitied states.
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2006, 06:35 AM
    Ok, that's what they say and a lot of Mormons do not practice it... a lot more than you might believe do. I live in Southern Idaho and have to go to Salt Lake for supplies for my business. I can take you to places in Salt Lake City, many places, where it is quite obvious what is happening. It happens more than you may know.

The age a girl can marry in Utah is 14. I think it has become more of a pedophile thing than a Holy Matrimony thing.
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jun 15, 2006, 08:13 AM
    Magpro, have you checked out the LDS website?

http://www.lds.org/

It clearly states that you will be excommunicated if you practice polygamy. Just because a person practices polygamy and claims to be an LDS member doesn't mean they are. I could claim to be the richest (monetary wise) person in North America and yet, I'm not.

Back to the question: How did they get your cell phone number? Is it possible that someone who knows you gave it to them? I think you should do what Fr. Chuck has said, contact the Ward Mission Leader. They could probably help. Ask the missionaries for the name of the Mission Leader and contact them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Stalking and harassment [ 15 Answers ]

I am trying desperately to break up with someone who was living with me and not paying bills. He was hired as temporary/part time for my company as one of my assistants to try to make some money. It was an at-will employment status, which means I can get rid of him whenever I choose. He is now...

View more questions Search