Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stewiegriffin77 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 09:14 AM
    Don't I have some kind of RIGHTS?
    My sister's kid's ( 9yrs and 1 yr old at the time) were taken from her and given to me because her husband, the 1 yr old's father, molested the 9 yr old. After two years of court the judge made me their legal guardian. (the courts seem to have forgotten what happened to the 9 yr old because her husband was never put in jail) now after a year our lawyer called me and sayed my sister talked to the judge and is filing an appeal. And we have to be in court in less than a week. The kid's are now 12yrs old and 4 yrs old. We went to court Thursday and the judge ruled the 12 yr old stays with me but the 4 yr old has to go back with my sister. They were supposed to pay child support to me -$50 for each child- since I had them I never received any support from her, her husband, or the state. And the judge ruled since I put them on my income tax that would cover their back child support. OCS, the D.A. the 12 yr old's theripist, -basicly everyone involved with the case thinks both kids should stay in my care. My sister has stated MANY times in front of OCS, lawyers, and the judge that she does not want the 12 yr old because "he's lying". And the 12 yr old sayed the mother had knowledge of the molestation
    The morning after court I called her and asked if we could at least see the 4 yr old. She sayed no. my lawyer is helping me file for adoption of the 12 yr old.
    What rights do I have as an aunt to see him?
    What rights does his brother have?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 2, 2008, 11:33 AM

What exactly happened to the husband ? Was he formally charged ? Was there a deal made ? Is he on the registered sex offenders list ?
    The fact that he isn't in jail doesn't mean something isn't ongoing. That really needs to be checked out. He / they should have been ordered by the courts to be evaluated before any children went back under their care.

Need a little more information to give you the help your seeking as far as advice runs. Also what state is this in ?

Nov 2, 2008, 11:43 AM

I live in Louisiana. They live in Arkansas. They said the reason he wasn't arrested is because the complaint was made in Louisiana not in Arkansas. The husband was never charged.they were evaluated and his psyciatrist says he shouldn't be around kids under the age of 18
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 2, 2008, 02:17 PM

Do you have proof of any of this or is this all handed to you by what someone has said ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 2, 2008, 03:20 PM

Is your sister still with her husband?

However, I hate to tell you but you as an aunt have almost no rights if legal guardianship was taken from you.

Nov 2, 2008, 03:30 PM

Every bit is documented through OCS and through my lawyer. But the problem is before the court they divorced- it's just a strategy she even asked the judge if it was OK for them to get back together

Nov 2, 2008, 03:34 PM
    This judge only has about two weeks left to retire, and we heard he was trying to close out all of his cases. Workers at OCS told us that judge always makes bad decions- some kids he has returned to parents got killed on count of neglect
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 2, 2008, 03:37 PM

So file an appeal.

Nov 2, 2008, 03:38 PM
    The husband was asked directly if there was any molestation or rape in his family and he said no. we found out his father just got out of prison serving 10 to 12 years for molesting his two grandkids- both minors.
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 2, 2008, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stewiegriffin77 View Post
    the husband was asked directly if there was any molestation or rape in his family and he said no. we found out his father just got out of prison serving 10 to 12 years for molesting his two grandkids- both minors.
    If he said this during the hearing then you can file a motion to overturn based on purjury of the party in conflict. You need to bring this evidence before the courts. You may even wish to seek a motion for trial concerning this. Not sure what your state is like in the courtroom but in Cali the difference is that a hearing is usually granted a short period and a trial can last much longer so all evidence can be heard and entered ( also more expensive ). You might also think of hiring a private detective to watch her house for awhile so you can document him living there. Usually in cases of molestation there is a ruling that a person must stay away from children. Good Luck.

Nov 3, 2008, 02:17 PM

The last court, the one that ruled the 4 yr old had to go back with my sister, OCS was not at the court and our lawyer could not cross examine any evidence or witnesses

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal Rights, Moral rights, and rights in general [ 5 Answers ]

Something popped up when I was answering a question the other day. My opinion is that there are laws(legal rights etc) and RIGHTS (moral rights) I though that itd be interesting to discuss. What are your opinions/experiences? Do you believe that the law has the right to determine our rights?

What kind of bug is this? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. When I lived in Alabama, I found this caterpillar, or at least I think it's a caterpillar :), in front of my trailer. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what kind it is and what they know about it. Thanks! Emily P.S. I took these pictures in 2005, so I would like to know soon...

Me and my kind of ex [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I really don't know what to do in this situation. I started working at this store in June 2006 and the girl I'm confused about started working at the same time. Even the same traning group. We became friends and about a month ago, we really got into each other. We started going to the movies...

What kind of bug is this? [ 4 Answers ]

I have noticed a very small, tiny bug crawling aroung near and around the bottom of my tub and it appears to be coming from a small crack or opening at the bottom of the tile on the wall. It is shaped like a tadpole, or cone. The head is wide and round and narrows as it goes back toward the tail....

What kind of Ivy is this? [ 5 Answers ]

I am having some problems with my ivy plant, but I'm not sure what kind of ivy it is, or if it is even truly ivy at all. Can anyone identify it for me? Also the problem is that it is getting white/tan translucent spots with dark brown edges as well as some leaves have edges that are turning dark...

View more questions Search