Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mymidnightdream Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 08:26 AM
    Skin Alergies or Obsessvive disorder
    My 10 yeald old long haired German Shepard. She scratches and chews at her skin constantly, also her paws. She will actually, chew spots raw. She does not have fleas or ticks for she is on Advantick (advantage). We live in the country. She is a inside dog, though we got outside to play with her and use the restroom. There are fields she loves to run and play in. But no sooner that when we come in she starts chewing on herself. I don't know if she has a skin alergies (her skin is clear with the exception of raw spots where she chews on her self). I read about Obessive disorder and this is one of the traits. When I tell her to stop she does! But, I have also heard of alergies to grass. Does anyone have any home remedies for chewing on skin to sooth it, shampoo's or lotions? Until her Vet's appointment, in later November. Very busy vet!
    Thank you
    Dragonfire24 Posts: 105, Reputation: 3

Nov 2, 2008, 08:52 AM

What do you feed your dog? Dogfood or leftover table food?

I'm not a dog expert but from my own personal experience with dogs, the ones I used to have had similar problems when they ate table food.

Nov 2, 2008, 09:27 AM
    I feed her Purina dog food. But yes, she does a treat of home cooking, but not often. We live in Louisiana, and believe it or not when I cook Gumbo, she loves it, so I give her a bowl! Same with gravies. But, she does not get much table food at all. Maybe once a week or less. What kind of food do you feed your dog?
    homebirthmom Posts: 160, Reputation: 15

Nov 2, 2008, 09:38 AM

It's a lot of work, but try bathing your dog daily, and see if this helps any. Your dog could have dry skin, causing it to itch really bad.
    If it is an obsession thing, then firm continual training should help.

Nov 2, 2008, 09:41 AM

Do you have a suggestion on the type of shampoo to use on her?
    homebirthmom Posts: 160, Reputation: 15

Nov 2, 2008, 09:54 AM

I would suggest something with tea tree oil in it. I'd try your local co-op. They normally have good stuff in there, and it's natural, without chemical ingredients known to dry skin further.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is there a cream to promote / increase skin cell exfoliating in middle age (50) skin [ 9 Answers ]

Hi! My skin has really changed since I hit the big "50th birthday. It has become dryer, flakes, thick patches and seems like the dead skin cells don't slough off and just pack into my pores creating hard tiny bumps (sometimes dark color) below the surface and the skin thickens over. My guess is...

Skin whitening for brown yellowish skin L-Glutathione [ 2 Answers ]

I know this question has been asked before, but I would like a respond from people who have the same color as me and/or from people who actually done their research on whitening pill and topicals and actually been taking them for many many years. I'm filipina and a little bit of Chinese, so my skin...

Skin Disorder [ 1 Answers ]

About two weeks ago I noticed a strange, new circular mark on the skin of my hip about the size of a quarter. It's now grown to the size of a half dollar and is somewhat scaly and an angry red. It doesn't itch or hurt. What could this be and what caused it?

My cat has a disorder [ 1 Answers ]

My cat just turned 2 years in Dec of 2004. I have had her since she was a couple weeks old. I didn't have to buy her, the kittens were given out for free, so I had no information on the cat's parents. When she was almost 1 year I moved from Louisiana(where I got her) to Rhode Island, where we are...

View more questions Search