Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mutahira1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 12:12 AM
    Shia sunni marriage
    Hi I'm a 22 yr old female, until last year I was not even sure what shia meant, but last year I fel in love with a shia from college, v both are madly in love and wish to spend our future together, my concern is not about shia beliefs or religion as I have done a detailed research on it and have had penty of discussions with my spouse, my only concern is how to tell and then convince my parents in to letting me marry a shia as it is unthought of in our family to marry from out side. And specialy from another schoo of thought is impossible, my parents vl not even heear my point of veiw and for sure will react horribly. I am extremely confused and upset :(. I don't see any reason why we can't marry but how should I tel my family??
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2008, 01:37 PM

From the little I know about your faith it will probably be impossible. It is really sad that people have so many hang ups, but it has been that way for thousands of years. Generally this sort of situation causes so many problems that it eventually ends in divorce. I would suggest that you divorce yourselves from your families and join a third sect or seek another religion altogether. Of course that would mean that you would have no family and is not a good solution.
    moslima Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2012, 06:20 PM
    So first of all I think you parents should meet him, they have to listen to him. It is also very important that your parents know about shia. Because I think that they think that shia's are bad and they want to protect you, so maybe that's the reason why they disagree. Your job is to convince your parents that shia's are true believers, because they believe in the same god the same prohet and the same book (the coran). If you to this than maybe hey will have a better view about the shia's and hopefully they will change they're opinion. I wish you the best and sister please don't divorce yourself from your family because as a muslim you know that your parents and your family are very important and you have to be good with them so you can be a good muslim. Salaaams from Belgium
    amine67 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2012, 12:54 AM
    For the sake of Allah, Please do not marry him if he is a 12 imams shia.

Wassalam

Amine
    smkanand Posts: 602, Reputation: 56

Mar 15, 2013, 05:33 AM
    Yes you can get married. First of all both of you get civil marriage. They don't ask you religion etc. You can tell your parents about it after wedding. If religion really not a big thing for both of you then you can have good married life. Plus I guess what I know about Islam that it was not shia or sunni came first but the Islam itself. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sunni Shia marraiges [ 5 Answers ]

I am a Sunni girl and a Shia family proposed me but my parents are reluctant and don't want to marry with a Shia guy. They think that nikkah between Sunni and Shia is not allowed and their beliefs and practice are different. Can you please guide me that whether I can get marry with a Shia guy and...

Love marriage or arrange marriage? [ 6 Answers ]

I have boyfriend but my parents want that I will do marriage with a boy of their choice.I really love my Boyfriend and he also love me. What should I do?

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Marriage to be or not to be [ 5 Answers ]

My finacee (25) and I (24) have been together for over a year. We have one son together that is 8 months old, we currently do not live together. He has primary custody of his other 2 kids (a 5 year old and 3 year old). His ex wife is a raging witch and always a thorn in our sides. SHe uses the...

View more questions Search