Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Twmac Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2006, 04:39 AM
    Two hard drives
    Hi, I have a computer with Windows ME installed on the slave drive,and I just installed Windows XP Home on the Master drive. What I would like to be able to do is use either OS I want. Rght now I can use the XP home OS but not the Windows ME OS. I can open the drive with Windows ME on it by going to the my computer and clicking on it but I can not use the Windows ME OS. How can I set it up so it lets me use either OS. Thanks a lot for your help. Ted :confused:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2006, 06:53 AM
    Here are a few web pages that discuss how to do this:

http://www.winxpfix.com/page5.htm

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/dualboot.htm
    Flintstones1962 Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Jun 22, 2006, 05:41 AM
    Hello,
    I would do like this :
    Start the system from the CD-r ( XP )
    Select the repair windows
    Select the partion where XP is installed
    Give the password of the administrator
    Give the command FIXMBR and press Enter
    This command will discover all the OS installed on your computer,
    Type Exit and press Enter
    Restart your computer normally ( remove the XP cd )
    You should be able to see 2 OS to choose from.

I personally did that before so many times, and it worked.

Hope it will work with you too.

Greetinngs
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 22, 2006, 06:26 AM
    The problem is I think you have the install backwards. Win 9x (which includes Win ME) needs to be installed on a C drive. Win XP can be installed on a different partition. If you want to do this, You would need to reformat your drives, Install Win Me on the C then install WinXP on the secondary drive. During the XP install you will be able to setup a Dual boot situation.
    abhay65 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 10:37 AM
    Try using a hard drive switch. Avl from Indus Technologies (Hard Drive Switches: Multiple Hard Drive Switch - Indus Technologies Inc. Hard Drive Switches)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

External hard drives [ 1 Answers ]

Ok I have a problem with my external hard drive. When it loads it will be created as drive (G) and it should be drive (F) all of my other hard drives default to (F) when loaded except one it go to (G). The software I use to access the information on the hard drive creates links like (F)...

Lost two phisical hard drives [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 120 gigs hard drives divided in half, My drive with the OS and cd still workes but 2 phisical drives have been lost my PC can't find them they were there a hour before and no changes made to them I think it may be cables or controler how do I fix the latter or is there something I should...

Hard drives [ 3 Answers ]

I want to clean my hard drive and reinstall windows and hardware. How Thanks Fred ? :-/

Running 2 hard drives [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a naïve when it comes to setting up computers, recently I acquired a computer with a fried motherboard but the hard drive is fine and I want to run both hard drives in my existing computer, one for the operating system and one for my junk that currently slows down my computer. I have...

Hard Drives [ 4 Answers ]

I have a question on SATA Hard Drives. I am planning on installing 1 SATA Drive, and I have 1 IDE drive also, I want to use, Which would be the Master, or can it be either, I know with IDE you use Slot 1 for Master and then if you want to have a slave. But with SATA I am not sure how that...

View more questions Search