Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wyatt411 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2008, 06:08 PM
    Disable airbags
    How do I disable a passenger side airbag on a 1997 chevy lumina?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 1, 2008, 08:08 PM

It is illegal to disable airbags specifically on the passenger side of any car unless it is for a certain medical condition in the person travelling in that car.

Maybe you can tell us why you want to do this ?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 2, 2008, 01:25 PM

Tickle, what medical condition would necessitate disabling a safety devise such as the air bag?

I don't know of any. And, I don't know who would want to accept the liability for disabling the air bag.
    If your vehicle doesn't have the switch to disable the passenger side air bag, it should be left alone.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 03:26 AM

Hi, Captain, the website apparelized.com contains information on just what medical conditions necessitate disabling air bags (I do assure you I recognize the safety features of the air bags in vehicles):

Airbag Use Exclusions

What are the medical conditions for which an air bag may be deactivated?

At NHTSA's request, the Ronald Reagan Institute of Emergency Medicine convened an expert panel of physicians to formulate recommendations on specific medical indications for air bag disconnection (deactivation) at the National Conference on Medical Indications for Air Bag Disconnection (July 16-18, 1997, George Washington Medical Center, Washington, DC). The panel consisted of 17 physicians, each nominated by a professional society or organization. The medical conditions considered were provided by NHTSA as the most common concerns expressed by members of the public in regard to disconnection requests.

The panel did not recommend disconnecting bags for pacemakers, supplemental oxygen, eyeglasses, median sternotomy, angina, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, emphysema, asthma, breast reconstruction, mastectomy, scoliosis (if the person is capable of being positioned properly), previous back or neck surgery, previous facial reconstructive surgery or facial injury, hyperacusis, tinnitus, advanced age, osteogenesis imperfecta, osteoporosis and arthritis (if the person can sit back at a safe distance from the air bag), previous ophthalmologic surgery, Down syndrome and atlantoaxial instability (if the person can reliably sit properly aligned in the front seat), or pregnancy.

The panel did, however, recommend disconnecting an air bag if a safe sitting distance or position cannot be maintained by a:

Driver because of scoliosis or achondroplasia, or

Passenger because of scoliosis or Down syndrome and atlantoaxial instability. The physicians also noted that a passenger air bag might have to be turned off if an infant or child has a medical condition and must ride in front so that he or she can be monitored.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 10:38 AM

Very interesting reading, tickle.

That is good information not readily available to the average owner.

I feel smarter now than before...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get to disable this log on screen? [ 3 Answers ]

I have Windows XP home operating system. Every time my computer boots up I have the Log on to Windows screen come up. I would like to disable this log on screen. I used to be able to bypass this screen altogether awhile back but I have since had to reinstall my operating system and I can't seem...

Laptop disable Wi-Fi [ 1 Answers ]

My one year old HP laptop can no longer enable Wi-Fi. I can no longer go into right corner icon to connect.I went to connect to and control panel to try enable Wi-Fi. No results. What could have happen? Thanks in advance.Fred

Disable keyboard [ 1 Answers ]

My Hp Laptop Keyboard Some Keys Automitic Pressed So Iam Purchased One New Keyboard So How To Disble Laptop Keyboard

Getting out of my lease because I disable? [ 3 Answers ]

I was trying to work but I lost my job after I came back from the Family Medical Leave and my wife lost hers for being gone from her job to long? Do you think the Landlord would understand?

Disable help [ 2 Answers ]

My cousin's a disable young man in a wheel chair that needs assistance. He lives in a house that was on the demolition list in Michigan, but he had a few friends help him fix the house, to make it liveable. The problem is the city says the house does not exsist. So therefore he can't get the...

View more questions Search