Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Walshy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2006, 10:52 PM
    Creating new math
    My question to you all is how can I have the new math I create checked without worry of someone stealing the ideas or finishing ones that aren't finished?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jun 11, 2006, 05:00 AM
    Hi,
    Call the US Government Patent Office, and get more information.
    I am 64 yrs old, and was a high school math teacher for 13 yrs, before changing careers. "New Math" has started over and over, during the last 35 yrs!
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    Anna26 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Jun 11, 2006, 09:40 PM
    I think you have to trust someone.

Mathematics is a collaborative activity and in my experience (as a phd student with published mathematical papers) I have never encountered a corrupt mathematician who would deliberately steal someone else's ideas and not give them appropriate credit. Really I think only maybe 0.000001 per cent of mathematicians would do such a thing.

When I do mathematics, I appreciate the time of anyone willing to read through my work and let me know if they find errors or have ideas for how it could be improved. I'm much more afraid of publishing something incorrect than having my ideas stolen. The danger is a lot greater.
    Anna26 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Jun 11, 2006, 10:41 PM
    The case of Andrew Wiles was a bit unusual. Any number theorist might be able to help you.

The thing to remember though is that in mathematics, creating ideas is really the easy part. The hard bit is pursuing them to completion. Most mathematicians have a long list of their own ideas that they would wish to pursue, if only they could live long enough. So it is common-place for them to give them away freely. Conference presentations often end with "future research directions" and "open questions". Professors are often keen to have their students work through ideas that they have. So there is really no danger of anyone stealing your ideas - they are too busy with their own.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Creating xp disc [ 3 Answers ]

I have purchased a second hand computer which has xp loaded on it but it did not come with an xp disc. I want to transfer the required files from this computer to make a bootable disc so that I can re-install if it is required later. Thanks

Help creating a web site [ 6 Answers ]

My parents want to set up some web sites: one for my mothers artwork and another for my fathers archery but they want to do it for free. I am unsure of how to go about settting up one at all and they have put me in chargte of it! Please help, blusia:eek:

Creating one partition? [ 6 Answers ]

Running MS XP SP2. Onboard hdd is 120GB. It's formatted as follows:- C:\ Primary Partition-NTFS-58.59GB-38% free E:\ Partition-NTFS-53.19GB-39% free (Logical Drive) I would prefer the disk to all be seen as C:\ E:\ currently contains a number of Acronis images of C:\ which are not...

Creating a forum [ 16 Answers ]

HI, I'de like to create a forum for my new site. But but I don't know anything about it. Can someone hepl me? I only know the interface part. Thanks

View more questions Search