Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2008, 03:37 PM
    How many Americans really understand?
    How the election of our president really happens?

I realize that the popular vote does not elect the president, that the president is chosen by the electoral college.

I have searched, and read, and asked friends and relatives, and you know what, I don't think any of us really knows exactly how this all adds up.

One site said that the electors are chosen, at the same time as you vote for the president.

I've never seen such a choice when I have voted, and if that was the case, how do we know by the next day who won?

Another site said that the electors don't make a choice until December, so again, how is it we know who our next president is, usually by November 5th?

I also read that while the electors are "supposed" to vote based upon the popular vote for the state where they reside, there is no law or requirement that they do so. So even if the state's popular vote clearly chooses one candidate, any one or more of the electors can disregard the popular vote, and cast their vote against the opposite candidate.

So, my question, really, is... how many Americans truly understand that our vote, really doesn't elect our president?

How many even know who these electors are, or how they get chosen?

Why do we pay so much attention to all these polls?

While I'm on the polls, how many people now days don't have a land line at home?

I know of at least 15 people just in my family and circle of friends and associates who only use a cell phone. You know that none of the polls call cell phones?

Just something to open up a discussion on.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 11:10 AM

Hello progunr. You are correct that in voting for a president you are really voting for a slate of electors, who in turn are pledged to vote for the candidate they are aligned with. In most states you don't see the names of the electors on the ballot, although if you want to vote for a write-in candidate in many states you also have to provide the name of the elector to make your vote valid. In most states the electors are allocated by a winner-takes-all method - whomever wins the popular vote in the state gets all of that state's electors. There are a couple of states that go against the tide here - Maine and Nebraska for determine their slates of electors based on the proportion of popular vote each candidate wins. So the determination by the media of "who won" before the electoral college casts its votes is based on an assumption that all the electors will vote as they have pledged. In practice they always do, and in many states there are laws that would punish any elector who casts his vote otherwise. It would get interesting if a candidate dies after election day but before the electoral college votes on Dec 15 - in that case the electors would not be pledged to any specific candidate. This has happened twice - both times when the VP candidate of a major party died, but in both cases the other party was the clear winner and so it didn't affect the outcome. There's a good article on this here:

Electoral College (United States) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2008, 11:36 AM

I would not change a thing. The Electoral College is the best system for picking a President suited to a nation like ours: a geographically large, ideologically diverse, socially complex federal republic. It has survived 220 years and 54 peaceful presidential elections ,no matter howq chaotic a few of them have been.

I venture somewhat further, and hesitate not to affirm, that if the manner of it be not perfect, it is at least excellent. It unites in an eminent degree all the advantages, the union of which was to be wished for.
    Alexander Hamilton 'The Federalist Number 68'

The Federalist #68
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2008, 08:22 PM

Pay no mind to the MAN behind the curtian!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Americans and the British [ 7 Answers ]

Although the Americans and British both speak english, would anyone agree we speak a different language.

ALI G (Borat to you Americans) [ 3 Answers ]

I think he is hilarious been from the U.K its quality. Should watch some of the YouTube vids YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. And this one is him with some NBA players lol classic!! YouTube - Ali G & the NBA (extended version)

Is resentment against the Americans up or down [ 28 Answers ]

Everyone and their mother seem to have an idea about how well the “surge” is working; I think someone should ask the Iraqis what they think. I wonder how they would rate their personal security. Is resentment against the Americans up or down since the “surge” began? But on second thought,...

Illegal Americans [ 7 Answers ]

Hi my name is Diego, I'm 18 years old and I live in Denver Colorado. I'm an Illegal immigrant of the united states, I crossed the border when I was nine, I didn't know what I was doing, I didn't have a choice. Over the time I forgot about my culture, and were I came from. I have become what I...

Racist Americans [ 122 Answers ]

----------THREAD IS SOLELY MEANT FOR INDIANS,ESPECIALLY in INDIA----- You know I just quit my job today, and I can't explain how relieved I feel about it.Used to work as a tech support in a BPO , outsourced in India with most customers calling from america .To a point where I realised that the...

View more questions Search