Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mark c2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Door handles
    At what height should interior door handles be fitted?
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Nov 1, 2008, 02:31 PM
    Normally you measure up 36" from the bottom of the door, not floor.

You look at the knob package to find the offset, that's how far in from the door edge.

This will either or be 2 3/8" or 2 3/4" or sometimes on newer sets can be either.

Good luck Roger
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2008, 03:23 PM

You can get a template from many box stores or hardware stores that will position cabinet hardware in the exact spot where it should be placed. The ones I've seen are a bluish-green color and can be found in the section where hardware is found. Very easy to use, with a variety of placement options for you to choose from this one tool. Costs under $5.00.
    kbuchholtz Posts: 110, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2008, 03:25 PM

Ignore above post. Just saw you were talking about door handles, not cabinet doors. Sorry.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 1, 2008, 07:34 PM

No absolutes here. The standard pre-hung interior door comes with lock set hole drilled 36” from bottom, 44” from the top. Measuring from top eliminated any question about trimming door bottoms. Just replaced 8 interior doors for customer. Old doors were drilled at 40”, exactly centered top to bottom. Manufacturer probably did that so doors could be hung either left or right (hinges were also equally spaced) by turning door top to bottom.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oh my! How do I get rid of these love handles? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone I am so frustrated! I have been doing taebo almost every day and have been doing so since January 2. Also I eat mostly fruits and veggies chicken ( I eat healthy) I don't seem to be losing any weight in my mid section. I really think I should be losing more weight and inches. I'm...

Name of handles in jet [ 6 Answers ]

What is the name of the handles in a jet.If you don't understand what handles then here's an example; a car is controlled by the sttering wheel.

Shower handles [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I need to replace my shower handles which are very old and cruddy. They are held on by one screw and there is a cap that goes over the screw, indicating hot, cold, and diverter. I tried to unscrew them and pull them off, but they are really stuck and one of them I could not even unscrew the...

Love Handles [ 3 Answers ]

How do you get rid of love handles? I hate mine! Thanks! :)

View more questions Search