Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Nov 1, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Re parking ticket, no standing
    I volunteer to drive feral cats to the Humane Society to be fixed (TNR program). I was
    Sitting there as I always do, awaiting seven cages of cats that were fixed when the
    Cops gave me a $115 ticket. I was wrong. It did say no standing. But I've been
    Doing it for a year and the police don't bother me. This time I saw a police woman
    Get out of her car and I said, do you mind if I wait here for the seven cats and she
    Said I shouldn't be there and she gave me a ticket.
    Is there any way out of this?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2008, 12:20 PM
    Hello jammy:

Nope. But, you can plead guilty with an explanation. If you tell the judge of your exemplary conduct, I'm sure he'll reduce the fine. Course, you're going to have go down there and maybe even go again...

Seems to me it might be easier to just send a check.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 2, 2008, 02:20 PM

You need to remember your car was parked. You were not "standing". Standing is when your engine is turned on and you are only there a few seconds/minutes. Apparently you were parked according to the cop or she wouldn't have given you the ticket. Next time you need to find a "legal" spot to park in while waiting for the cats. Also, what sort of a space were you supposedly "standing" in in the first place? If it was a no parking zone, then yes, you should get the ticket and pay it. Just because you have an excuse probably won't be good enough for the Judge to reduce or dismiss your ticket. Or if you were parking near a hydrant or bus stop or loading zone it won't work either.
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2008, 11:30 AM

As ex & twinkie have said, it depends on the judge; s/he may or may not give you a break on the ticket.

However, I strongly do not recommend using the defense of "I did it for a year without any problems." Not only is it a bad excuse, but it's also admitting to numerous other violations which could lead to more fines.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Get out of a Parking ticket downtown Nashville, TN [ 7 Answers ]

Ok, so I got a parking ticket last night in downtown Nashville, Tennessee. I didn't notice the sign, and know I had seen motorcycles parked there before. Anyway, so I met the cop as she arrived and started writing my ticket. She was very rude, but that's beside the point. I am just wondering if...

Parking Ticket [ 10 Answers ]

I parked in the MIDDLE of a street. The sign said no parking Mon-Fri 8-6pm, it was Saturday. I got a ticket for $165.00. The ticket said I was blocking a pedestrian ramp. I looked on the other side of my Car and there was a indented section, but there were no signs for me to know this. It...

Parking ticket?  HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

I sold a car on 02-04-2001 and it keeps coming back a costing me money. I was just sent a parking ticket bill that was giving to the car on 04-01-2001, 2 months after I sold it. I sent in a "lelease of liability" to the DMV when I sold it but it wasent recorded. Now I get a bill for $250 for a...

View more questions Search