Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mforgue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2008, 07:10 AM
    Adopting my fiance's kids
    I was wondering how to go about adopting my fiance's children the oldest has no father on his birth certificate but the younger one does, they both have the same father but he has not seen them or contacted them in years. The courts are going after him for child support that he has not paid in 12 years. He was not a good person at all (alchohol,drugs ,violence).
    Do we need to be married first? The kids want this so bad, we want to do this and have all ties including child support and custodial right droped from him if he allows this. Is this possible? If so what can I do?
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Your going have to get married first and some states require that you be married for at least a year.

In order for you to adopt her kids your going need the have to terminate the father rights and he doesn't have to sign away his rights if he doesn't. Do she has any of his relatives contact information to get a hold of him? When she does get in contact with him she should tell him that she would forget the back child support owe if he signs his right away so he won't put up a fight and since he owes back support and not active in their life, it might or might not hurt.

Now you stated his name isn't on one of the kids birth certificate but is he order to pay child support for that child or just for the other one?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 1, 2008, 08:00 AM

In most places in the US, you will have to be married for one year first, then you hire an attorney, the birth father will have to sign over his rights,

On the one, has the birth father been proven by DNA or some method approved by the court, if not that has to be done so he can sign over his rights for the adoption
    mforgue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2008, 07:12 PM
    She is able to cantact the birthfather he is the same for both kids. Its just the older child's birth certificate that did not have have his fathers name on it but the state is going after him for child suport for both kids. Isn't there sometype of child abandonment law since he has not had nor attempted contact with them in several years?
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2008, 06:39 AM

What state do you live in? Also, since she does have a way to get contact with him then she won't have to waste time looking or money looking for him. Maybe she should talk to him about it to see what his response might be. He does have the right to say no.

Also, did she ever take him back to court for not paying his child support? His wages could be garnish and income taxes could be taken away by a judge.

Comments on this post
    Asking agrees: I don't believe it's legal to negotiate away child support. Legally it belongs to the children.

Most people who are in this situation does. It doesn't seem like he intend on paying anyway or what anything to do with him kids that he brought into this meanwhile a guy that isn't their father is willing to step up to the plate and not only willing to take care of them but willing to adopt them and become their legal father.

Many people who have been in this situation has done this and if you take time out to read the many of threads that is on him you can see it for yourself.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Nov 2, 2008, 10:01 AM

Actually, you're not negotiating away child support. If you have someone ready to adopt the child, child support isn't even an issue--you have someone lined up to help support the child.

What you're negotiating is the birth father (or, on occasion, the birthmother) being pursued for child support. Most of the time in situations where there is a stepparent adoption pending, these people haven't paid child support in some time anyway. What you're negotiating with them is the idea that you aren't going to bust your a$$ to get them for every single red penny they owe or put them in jail for not paying it.

You can NOT force someone to relinquish their parental rights. You also can't PAY someone to relinquish their parental rights. You CAN, however, make them face the choice of relinquishing their rights, or being forced to face their responsibilities.
    div2wice Posts: 103, Reputation: 1
    -

Nov 3, 2008, 08:10 PM
    You would need to have the biological father sign over his parental rights. I went through something similar, my lawyer at the time contacted my ex and told him outright if he wants to get rid of the monthly support payment (in this case, the back support) then sign over the parental rights & it goes away. He signed that very day.

Yes, you do need to be married, and as some posts said, check your state laws because some have a time limit. We were married and had the adoption finalized that next month, but all states are different.

Once he signs over the rights he will cut all ties to the children and the child support issue will be gone.

Good luck !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting a Daschund,not sure with kids [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the middle of adopting a 4 yr old Daschund that was left at a shelter.They said they think the dog had been abused before because it had a lot of issues,that the dog has gotten better with now.The dog is amazing,he is loving,kind and well behaved.He loves people especially women,but every...

2yr old dog urinating on fianc?'s belongings [ 1 Answers ]

I have three dogs. I work a lot and recently had my fiancé move in with me. One of my dogs has shown signs of separation anxiety pretty much since I've had him. He's been a part of the family since a puppy. I don't know what to do to cure him of his anxiety issues. He also beats up on one of...

My fianc?'s Parents in CT [ 2 Answers ]

My fiance's parents have been separated for 7 years and divorced for two. Since the divorce her father has been giving her mother a hard time about everything that was agreed upon in the divorce. For example, most recently, according to the state of CT the father is supposed to pay for the...

My fianc?'s dad won't let me see or talk to him, what do I do? [ 9 Answers ]

To start, my fiancé and I have been engaged for nearly eight months. I am 19 and he is 22. In January I had my fiancé come spend a couple weeks with me in Madison, where I attend college. He said he needed a break from his controlling father and wanted to spend time with me. Something came up to...

View more questions Search