Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hardwork Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2006, 02:08 PM
    I have a leaking shower faucet and tried to take faucet apart to change the
    o-ring but was not able to takeout more than a cover for the screw and the screw that was under it. I have not located the ORING CAN any one please help. I have a symmons Temptrol brand.:confused:

You need to replace the washers and seats to stop your leak. Here's how

Instructions for replacing Temptrol spindle, washers and/or seats

Click here for complete parts listing and breakdown of the Temptrol valve. (See attachment at bottom of page)

*Turn off the water to the valve before proceeding!

**Before removing the handle, open the valve as if you were going to take a normal shower (approximately half a turn). CAUTION: Failure to open the valve before removing the cap assembly (TA-12A) will result in damage to the cap and spindle.

Removing valve trim
    Remove the plug button (T-33) from the temperature control handle (T-31).
    Remove the handle screw (T-32) and remove the temperature control handle.
    Remove the two escutcheon screws (T-28). Remove the dial [T-29(A,B,C)] and escutcheon (T-27).
    Remove the dome cover (T-19/20) by unscrewing in a counter-clockwise direction.

Opening valve
    Remove the cap assembly by using a wrench and turning in a counter-clockwise direction, the spindle assembly will come out with it. Separate the cap from the spindle by unscrewing the cap in a counter-clockwise direction.
    Replacing washers or spindle
    At this point you can rebuild or replace the spindle. To rebuild use the TA-9 washer kit. Hint: Place the handle on the spindle so that you can hold it stationary. Remove the hot washer screw (T-5) and the hot washer (T-6). Remove the cold washer (T-8) by using adjustable pliers turning counter-clockwise on the cold washer retainer (T-7).
    Reverse the above steps to reassemble the spindle with the new parts.
    Replacing seats
    To replace the seats you will need to use the seat removal tools (T-35A/B) and TA-4 seat kit. Insert the larger seat tool (T-35A) into the valve until it engages in the notches of larger cold seat near top of valve. CAUTION: Use extreme care to make sure the wrench is engaged into the notches in order to prevent stripping of the notches. Remove by unthreading in a counter-clockwise direction.
    Next insert the smaller tool (T-35B) until it engages in the small hot seat located at the back of the valve. Remove by unthreading in a counter-clockwise direction.
    Reassemble with new seats from TA-4 Kit, reversing steps 9-8. Tighten both seats to 15 foot-pounds of torque.
    Reverse the above steps 5-1 to reassemble your valve and trim. Be sure the spindle assembly is drawn close to the cap before screwing the cap back into the valve. CAUTION: Failure to do this will cause damage to the cap and spindle.
    This may help also http://www.symmons.com/a10.cfm Just click on this link for more information. Good luck. Tom

I have received advice and a exploded view picture on how to take the shower handle off but when I get to the point with the half turn of the handle to take it off I have no luck. Is it stuck or do I have to have the handle turned precisely within a couple of milimeters to get it off?
    Yes I did take out all of the screws.:confused:
    Help

They make a handle puller for just your problem. It works on the same principal as a wheel puller. Most plumber supply houses sell them. Let me know if if it works for you. Regards, Tom

This is what a handle puller looks like. If the handle's fused on the spline this tool will get it off. Good luck, Tom
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2012, 01:06 PM
    Speedball1:

You need to replace the washers and seats to stop your leak. Here's how

Instructions for replacing Temptrol spindle, washers and/or seats

See attachment at bottom of page for temptrol parts.

*Turn off the water to the valve before proceeding!

**Before removing the handle, open the valve as if you were going to take a normal shower (approximately half a turn). CAUTION: Failure to open the valve before removing the cap assembly (TA-12A) will result in damage to the cap and spindle.

Removing valve trim
    Remove the plug button (T-33) from the temperature control handle (T-31).
    Remove the handle screw (T-32) and remove the temperature control handle.
    Remove the two escutcheon screws (T-28). Remove the dial [T-29(A,B,C)] and escutcheon (T-27).
    Remove the dome cover (T-19/20) by unscrewing in a counter-clockwise direction.

Opening valve
    Remove the cap assembly by using a wrench and turning in a counter-clockwise direction, the spindle assembly will come out with it. Separate the cap from the spindle by unscrewing the cap in a counter-clockwise direction.

Replacing washers or spindle
    At this point you can rebuild or replace the spindle. To rebuild use the TA-9 washer kit. Hint: Place the handle on the spindle so that you can hold it stationary. Remove the hot washer screw (T-5) and the hot washer (T-6). Remove the cold washer (T-8) by using adjustable pliers turning counter-clockwise on the cold washer retainer (T-7).

Reverse the above steps to reassemble the spindle with the new parts.

Replacing seats
    To replace the seats you will need to use the seat removal tools (T-35A/B) and TA-4 seat kit. Insert the larger seat tool (T-35A) into the valve until it engages in the notches of larger cold seat near top of valve. CAUTION: Use extreme care to make sure the wrench is engaged into the notches in order to prevent stripping of the notches. Remove by unthreading in a counter-clockwise direction.

Next insert the smaller tool (T-35B) until it engages in the small hot seat located at the back of the valve. Remove by unthreading in a counter-clockwise direction.

Reassemble with new seats from TA-4 Kit, reversing steps 9-8. Tighten both seats to 15 foot-pounds of torque.

Reverse the above steps 5-1 to reassemble your valve and trim. Be sure the spindle assembly is drawn close to the cap before screwing the cap back into the valve. CAUTION: Failure to do this will cause damage to the cap and spindle.

Good luck. Tom
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2012, 01:08 PM
    Hardwork:

I have received advice and a exploded view picture on how to take the shower handle off but when I get to the point with the half turn of the handle to take it off I have no luck. Is it stuck or do I have to have the handle turned precisely within a couple of milimeters to get it off?
    Yes I did take out all of the screws.
    Help
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2012, 01:10 PM
    Speedball1:

They make a handle puller for just your problem. It works on the same principal as a wheel puller. Most plumber supply houses sell them.

Image attached to see what a handle puller looks like. If the handle's fused on the spline this tool will get it off.

Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking shower faucet [ 4 Answers ]

I'm in a rental homne that was built in 1975, I think. The shower faucet is leaking. This is the kind where you have different knob for the cold water on your right and another for the hot water on your left, and the faucet is in the center. I tried unscrewing the left knob but doesn't know where...

Leaking shower faucet [ 2 Answers ]

Is it necessary to drain the hot water tank before changing the shower stems? My hot water tank is in my attic.

Leaking shower faucet [ 1 Answers ]

Shower faucet leaks

Leaking shower faucet [ 2 Answers ]

I have an emco shower faucet that is leaking cold water after I changed the seat and the stem on the cold side and rebuilt the stem on the hot side. What else can I do?

Shower faucet is leaking [ 1 Answers ]

I have never changed a faucet before. Do I need to call a plumber? ( We called one who hasn't responded) It seems that today parts are easily replaced , unlike when I was a child when you had to use copper fittings with torches and pipe dope ,etc. I looked at the faucet and saw two screws ....

View more questions Search