Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    missingpieces Posts: 70, Reputation: 6

Oct 31, 2008, 07:23 PM
    CA Prop 8- Gay Marriage Ban
    So this is very controversial in California right now, where I am from, and I was wondering what everyone thinks about the subject. People are being crazy over this prop right now.

I am totally against banning gay marriage. I think that to say that it is a violation of rights and privileges to allow it is riduculous. I know it is against some religions and a lot of people are extremely against it, but how does it hurt you? This is not forcing churches to marry gays, it is not forcing teachers to teach it in schools (most people I have talked to say that they learned about marriage from their parents and not from their school and I am in college). So, really, how does it hurt you if you a gay couple gets married and you don't ever have to meet them or deal with them at all?

I am asking because I have seen people go to disgusting lengths, on both sides of the issue, to make their point and I see no need for it. Those for the ban are saying its against their religion, well then don't pawn your religion off on those of us who don't want it! Not to mention people for the ban have said some truly sick things that I would rather not repeat. And recently at my school those against it made a swastika sign out of the Yes on Prop 8! Signs on campus, this is very sick.

So why be so against it if it has nothing to do with you? And if you are for it that's fine, just don't do horrible things like what happened on my campus.
    Jay Dolce Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Nov 3, 2008, 10:31 PM

I agree wit you
    I lived in a large city when I was growing up and now I live out in the country

And it was rarely seen but out of no were it seemed like evey one I knew was gay!

It scared me a little!

But I mean what ever they want to do with there life is fine!

I just don't like how they are trying to make others things its good for every one
    spyderglass Posts: 434, Reputation: 34

Nov 3, 2008, 10:44 PM

I don't live in California, but I also find intolerance is very repulsive. I think that banning gay marriage is Un-Constitutional.
    I don't know why people think they have the right to deny happiness to a person just because they are homosexual! I think people just fear what they don't understand, and they lash out in any way possible.
    missingpieces Posts: 70, Reputation: 6

Nov 4, 2008, 12:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderglass View Post
    I think people just fear what they don't understand, and they lash out in any way possible.
    Well said! I think so too. Plus people interpret the bible in whatever way they want pretty much and I think this is one of those. But whatever happened to separation of church and state? This is another issue I get really heated on, best not to even get me started. Lol
    Alder Posts: 342, Reputation: 71

Nov 5, 2008, 04:03 PM

If you want to outlaw a practice that is detrimental to heterosexual marriage, outlaw divorce. My heart goes out to the gay men and women of California and the other two states that denied them this fundamental right in this election. :(
    Wondering401K Posts: 14, Reputation: -3

Nov 6, 2008, 10:26 AM

Marriage: Between a Man and Woman.
    Period.

I'm sure Geoffry Dahmer would be crying descrimination, if her were still alive, that killing and eating people should be legal... I mean just because other people don't...

Pedophiles, whining that it should be legal to...

Simply using flawed reasoning and arguments will not change that.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering401K View Post
    Simply using flawed reasoning and arguments will not change that.
    You mean like equating gay marriage to cannibalism or pedophilia?
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 10:35 AM
    Here is what I don't understand about this...

It is my understanding that the Supreme Court of California ruled in favor of same sex unions. Then how can a ballot proposition overturn a supreme court decision?
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 10:38 AM

I can't believe I just read Gay marriage being Compared with murdering then eating people and having sex with Under aged kids. Wondering you can't be serious.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 10:45 AM

I don't see any connection between eating people and getting married.

I have friends who got married, were declared unmarried by a California proposition. The first proposition was declared unconstitutional so they married again. Now are they still married or unmarried? They don't know. This is an unreasonable thing to do to people who are just minding their own business and trying to have a normal life.

I don't understand why some people in heterosexual marriages think that gay marriage hurts them in any way. It's like saying gays can't eat the same foods as everyone else. If gays eat apple pie, that takes away the sanctity of apple pie? If you don't have any gay friends, you aren't even going to know about it... It's intrusive to legislate this kind of thing. What next? They can't buy houses or send their kids to public schools? I have yet to see a persuasive argument.

And the hypocrisy of the Church of latter day saints promoting Prop 8 just leaves me speechless. How can they even think of presuming to tell other Americans what a normal marriage is?
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2008, 10:47 AM

1 John 4:20-21
    If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother.
    Wondering401K Posts: 14, Reputation: -3

Nov 6, 2008, 11:22 AM

Equating one to the other was never said.

Using ".....flawed reasoning and arguments...." will not change facts.

1. Marriage: Between a Man and Woman. Period. Voters/Majority has voted. Get over it.
    2. Murder is wrong and illegal.
    3. Pedophilia is wrong and illegal.

The Supreme Court cannot legislate.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 11:28 AM

1. Marriage: Between a Man and Woman. Period. Voters/Majority has voted. Get over it.

You are grouping same-sex marriage with murder and pedophila, thus equating them... and what difference does it make if a gay couple get married. No one is going to force you to marry someone of the same sex so you need to get over it. What other people do should not affect you. I'm sorry to be rude but your point of view is ridiculous grouping same-sex marriage with murder and pedophilia.
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Nov 6, 2008, 11:39 AM

Your missing something or we are.

Murder hurts someone else because the murdered victim doesn't give their consent.
    Pedophilia hurts someone else because children are deemed unable to give their consent.

Gay marriage is contract between to people and the government that allows two consenting adults to get certain benefits that they would otherwise not get.

How does those two people getting those benefits hurt someone else physically?

Remember that banning gay marriage doesn't prevent these two people from being together so you can't use that argument that you don't want to have to see it because banning gay marriage won't prevent that or encourage it.

Personally I think the government should get out of marriage completely. It's none of their business. Any rights that are defined through marriage should be separated out and defined and be able to be assigned to who ever you want.
    mommyoftwins200 Posts: 62, Reputation: 2

Nov 6, 2008, 11:42 AM

This is ridiculous, I think if you are happy you should be able to get married, whether it be man with man or woman with woman. There are so many more important things to worry about in this world right now then to worry about this.

It is funny because I know so many people who are gay and lesbian who are very happy and do not fight nerly as much as a man and woman would fight.

I think that they should just let people marry who they would like.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 11:43 AM
    the lowering of moral values in any nation lowers it. The fact in trying to explain to young children why bob and ted are kissing in public, violates my rights, why should I have to worry about the values of my child because of the lack of values in others.

This is the issue, the church should not even have to take a stand on gay marriage, it should be addressing its moral issue gay behavior in general. That is what the church is against. You still love the person but dislike the sin. Jesus loved everyone but he also told the sinner to go and sin no more.
    The Church has lost the main battle, in allowing gay relationships to start with, So now they are fighting for the last public stand it can, marriage.

So at this point it is no issue, the Church lost, since public gay relationships are allowed, the Church is defeated by a immoral nation. Marriage is merely the legal staus of what has already happened.
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by michealb View Post
    Your missing something or we are.
    Personally I think the government should get out of marriage completely. It's none of their business. Any rights that are defined through marriage should be separated out and defined and be able to be assigned to who ever you want.

I agree. Marriage as a sanctified connection is a religious concept and it's not appropriate for the state to be involved. Likewise, the legal contract aspects of marriage are civil matters, not the provence of churches. There are two different things intermixed here, left over from when Churches governed.
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2008, 11:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    The fact in trying to explain to young children why bob and ted are kissing in public, violates my rights
    Just wondering.. what right are those?
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    i agree. Marriage as a sanctified connection is a religious concept and it's not appropriate for the state to be involved. Likewise, the legal contract aspects of marriage are civil matters, not the provence of churches. There are two different things intermixed here, left over from when Churches governed.
    I agree with asking here and I've said it before. I support the civil union of same-sex partners in order to get equal benefits but you can't force the churches to marry them within their institution - they are too caught up in 2000 years of history to change their ways, I have no problem with having each individual church/denomination rule on whether they will perform marriages on same-sex couples. Hey even I'm fair on that one! :)
    Ultra Member

Nov 6, 2008, 11:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    the lowering of moral values in any nation lowers it. The fact in trying to explain to young children why bob and ted are kissing in public, violates my rights, why should I have to worry about the values of my child because of the lack of values in others.

What's to explain? Men and women sometimes kiss in public too. How do you normally explain that? You can use the same words. I'm not convinced it's necessary to explain. If a child asks a specific question, answer it. Otherwise, it's not an issue.

Anyway, legislating against marriage has no effect on whether two men kiss each other. They are legally entitled to do it whether they are married or not and even though you don't like it. I don't think people should make out in public, but that's more a matter of taste. And I certainly wouldn't limit that to gays.

Also, we all have to worry about the values of our children because of the lack of our own values in others. For example, I value tolerance for others, while you don't. Your values conflict with mine and to the extent that my children are exposed to people with your values, that's a problem for me. I also value the idea of one sexual partner at a time. But many other people don't. It would not occur to me to try to pass a law that would make it a crime to sleep with more than one person at a time even though it conflicts with my values and the values I want my children to have.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prop 13 tax benefits [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé is hesitant to add my name to his house title because he thinks it will cause him to lose the benefits of prop 13 (we are in California). He currently pays very low taxes and wants to keep it this way. Is this true and if so, is there any way around this?

California Prop 94 to 97 [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Everyone, I am not sure if this is the best place to ask this, but I have been researching California Prop 94 to 97 for hours over the last few weeks, and have yet to come to a solid conclusion. If you're knowledgeable about this propositions, please do share the facts and your opinions. ...

Foreclosure- does who pays off own any part of prop? [ 4 Answers ]

(Please forgive me if this is a duplicate - the site said I hadn't asked any questions, and I was concerned that this one didn't make it somehow.) My brother is sole executor of my recently-deceased mother's trust. She left her house equally to both. I need money right now to bring my mortgage...

View more questions Search