Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cottoncandy29 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2008, 12:57 PM
    State ID
    Hi I came to this country legally with my parents and stayed. My grandmother is a citizen and she petitioned my dad under the category of married son through the law 245i. My dad got a notice of action letter approving his petition. My mom, sisters,dad, and I are included in this petition but the only name showing up on the letter is my dad because he is the son of my grandmother. So three years passed from the time the petition was approved and we haven't received any other letter because the process is slow I guess. I'm already 21 and have been here since 2001 and want to have a state id or driver's license. I know it's hard because dmv requires social security but at least an ID. I moved by myself in FL to see if I could have a state ID went to Dmv and supposedly the torch letter is expired because it was approved in 2005 and my name is nowhere to be found in it. I don't know what to do any more feel like I just got to wait to see what happens. But what if I get stopped by a cop for no specific reason and he ask me for Id and I show him my passport I mean I could show him my passport with visa but the picture is 8 years old. He could think that's not me or ask me for I 94 which is expired. OR if I show my renewed passport with nothing in it he could think I entered illegally. Help please!! I'm just trying to have a normal life while waiting for my papers.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Oct 31, 2008, 01:31 PM

Immigrant visas for son/daughter over 21 years old and married need to wait for quota. After receiving approval notice, your dad must wait until visa number becomes current. Waiting period can take anywhere from 10 years to 25 years depending on what country you're from.

So in this case, you and your family had overstayed for many years. During this period, you do not have legal status, and are not eligible to obtain any documents such as SSN or state ID, driver's license, etc.

There are penalty for those who overstayed the visas; if you overstay for up to 6 months, you will be barred from entering US for 3 years, and if you overstay longer than 1 year, you will be barred for 10 years.

Here's the problem... non-immigrant visa beneficiaries must be interviewed at US consulate in their home countries. So when the visa numbers become current, your dad and all whose names are mentioned as beneficiaries, must attend the interview BUT since you've overstayed in US for a long time, your case will be denied unless you have immigration attorney file a waiver. You cannot file adjustment of status while you're in US.

Contact experienced immigration attorney ASAP...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Part Year State Return and Unemployment Compensation from another state [ 1 Answers ]

I was living in Florida when I lost my job in June 2007 and started getting unemployment compensation from the State of Florida. I moved to Boston, MA in August 2007 and continued receiving the unemployment compensation from Florida. I got a new job in November 2007 in Boston, MA. So, my...

State Taxes withheld for wrong state on 1099-R [ 2 Answers ]

I was temporarily in another state, for 2 weeks, and closed a retirement account and received a 1099-R and they withheld the wrong state taxes. All of my employment is in MN and the taxes were withheld in VA. What do I do?

State taxes on out-of-state short-term contract [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Here's my situation. Facts: I am a consultant for company X (W-2 arrangement),which is based in New Jersey, where I was hired for a 6-month contract in New Jersey to perform work for one of their clients--company Z. I am a current resident of Arizona where I have a house and I plan...

Can wife move out of state with child after divorce and residency in state [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I are living in Ohio, have been residents for 9 months and have a 14 month old child. If we divorce and she would get custody, could she ever move out of the state

2 states: Can I credit state tax of one state to other state [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 W-2. One from job in Mass. Mass state tax is withheld in that W-2. Then I moved to NC and got a new job in NC. NC state tax is withheld in this second jobs W-2. Both W-2 only have state tax withheld from their corresponding states. So can I credit taxes of one state to another and...

View more questions Search