Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BRiGRL Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Jun 9, 2006, 02:57 PM
    Ovarian Cyst
    Well I was just diagonosed with an ovarian cyst...and the doctor said that it has already ruptured...does anyone know if this could cause a problem getting pregnant?:confused: ..or if this is something I should be really worried about?:( ..One doctor told me that after it ruptured the pain should go away eventually..and my cousin had one a long time ago and she was told the same thing...Any advice would be great!!
    Honeybear Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2006, 01:18 AM
    Hi, my mom actually had a cyst on her right ovary and it too had ruptured on it's own. The pain did go away on it's own about 2-3 months afterwards. She got pregnant with my brother so obviously it didn't affect her fertility. I don't think you will have any problems. Most women get cysts on their ovaries but they rupture before they even know that they are there. It's when the grow and attach themselves to things you have to worry. Hope this helps.
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 19, 2006, 05:18 AM
    Ovarian cysts are sacs filled with fluid or a semisolid material that develops on or within the ovary.Typically, ovarian cysts are functional (not disease related) and disappear on their own. During the days preceding ovulation, a follicle grows. At the time of expected ovulation, the follicle fails to rupture and release an egg.Instead of being reabsorbed, the fluid within the follicle persists and forms a cyst. Functional cysts usually disappear within 60 days without treatment and are relatively common. They occur most often during childbearing years (puberty to menopause), but may occur at any time. No known risk factors have been identified. Oral contraceptive pills may be prescribed to help establish normal cycles and decrease the development of functional ovarian cysts.

Ovarian cysts that do not appear to be functional may require surgical removal by laparoscopy or exploratory laparotomy. Surgical removal is often necessary if a cyst is revealed that is larger than 6 centimeters or that persists for longer than 6 weeks.
    Other medical treatment may be recommended if other disorders are found to be the cause of ovarian cysts, such as polycystic ovary disease.Any ovarian cyst that enlarges or persists longer than 60 days is probably not a functional cyst. A laparoscopy or exploratory laparotomy may be done to rule out other conditions. So to answer your question, typical ovarian cyst should not have any bearing on pregnancy unless there are serious complications.
    BRiGRL Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2006, 05:26 PM
    Hey thanks...now I have another question....will it still hurt when I have sex? I mean my boyfriend and I have tried once..and it was uncomfortable..so we stopped!! And I have also read that when an ovarian cyst ruptures it can 'release a life-threatening liquid'...I dont think this is something I should be worried about since the dr from the hospital released me...but it still crosses my mind!! Thanks for all the help!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search