Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gdykes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2006, 12:35 PM
    Criminal History
    I have been told that after a 10 year period - a person does not have to disclose their criminal history on employment applications. Can anyone confirm this statement.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2006, 01:03 PM
    Hello:

I can confirm that you have been told wrong!

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 9, 2006, 01:20 PM
    I can tell you as a prior police officer and one who used to help run criminal histories for employers.

The information given to the public ( companies you are tyring to go to work for) will show any conviction you have ever had that is not explunged.

So if the application says any, it means any, some applications only ask about the last 10 years but most say ever.

But for the police or any national security agency, any arrest ( even if not convicted) any probation, parole, any conviction ( even explunged ones) will show up. If you have been arrested before, it will even list any tattoos or other visible physcial things about you.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jun 9, 2006, 05:26 PM
    Where do you live?

Different places do have different laws.

Odds are the info. You were given is wrong, but who knows?
    gdykes Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2006, 06:39 PM
    I live in Texas and that is where the crime was committed - I did Federal Time
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2006, 08:21 AM
    Hello again, g:

Maybe I was a little short with you earlier. I meant no disrespect. I've done a little federal time too, in addition to state time, and some county time... No, I've never been in a city jail.

What I know about doing time, is that if you listen long enough, you'll hear everything. However, as you must know (since you actually lived through it) most of what you hear in the slam is BS.

In my view, this is one of those. It ought to be fairly easy to track down, though. It WAS federal time, so the law you speak of would be a federal, as opposed to state, law. I looked. I couldn't find anything remotely like what you are speaking about.

Plus, if you really think about it, our nation is not in a very friendly mood toward exconvicts, these days. As a matter of fact, they're passing laws all the time that make it MORE difficult for ex-offenders - not easier. You need to ask yourself, why would they pass a law that would be BENEFICIAL to an exconvict. The answer is, of course, they WOULDN'T.

You are to be commended, however, for asking rather than just acting as thought the rumor your heard was fact. That could get you into real trouble, as you know.

So, let's talk about the ways you can help yourself. First, if it's been ten years, and you have no recent criminal conduct, then you should apply for a pardon - or at the very least, expungment. Why not?? If you qualify, they should give it to you. Well, "give" might be an overstatement. Like anything you've ever gotten from them, you're going to have to fight for it. So, what else is new? Hire a good lawyer.

As the Padre said, an "expunged" record will show up for the cops and the courts, but not for the public. It "should" be hidden, however, I wouldn't trust that to be an absolute fact, given the lack of security within the Gov. If you're asked whether you've been convicted of a felony, the true answer would be yes. Whether you answer that way is up to you. I'm not here to preach.

A pardon, on the other hand, removes the conviction ENTIRELY from existence. If you're asked about it, you can say that you've never been convicted.

Anyway, dude. That's my two cents. Good luck.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 11, 2006, 11:51 AM
    There are all sorts of levels of security, I have went though some very high level of security backgrounds both pre 9/11 and post.

In the one background check they actually sent investigators to talk to neighbors I had over the past 10 years, they went and talked to high school teachers, college teachers, friends I had back then.

( somehow they found some old girlfiends and talked to them) They even had a list of "lines" I had used in some bars.

They even came up with things I had forgotten years ago.

So I guess everything is all respective as to what job you are applying to.

Also many jobs don't actually run criminal records, they ask but because of the cost of running them most don't for a lot of jobs.
    mack 10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 09:47 AM
    Well Im a recent grad with a 4.0 in trucking school. I had a felony case for possion in 04. Are there any trucking companies that will hire me? Im willing to take as many drug test as they want to give me. I realize how serious trucking is, now. One moving violation in past three years

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Checking the history if the history has been deleted [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know all the sites my family has been visiting on the web. How do I check that if the history has been erased/deleted? Thanks in advance.

Is your neighbor a criminal? [ 36 Answers ]

Hello: Do you think the government has any clue about what it does?? Recently, the state of Washington made playing online poker a felony. Yup – a class C felony, just like sex offenders. Now, I would like you to think about this for a minute. Here we have, let's say 1,000 ordinary...

Criminal background 12 yrs.ago... [ 2 Answers ]

I am getting ready to go back to school in the medical field; I'm offered job placements through where I graduated .Do I have to worry about possibility of rejection because of a past record-over 10yrs.ago?! I've been told it shouldn't be that big of a deal... but,I have concerns because school...

Criminal Investigation [ 1 Answers ]

I want to become a crime scene investigator. I have a BA in sociology and I am currently going to school for anotherassociates degree in criminal justice and a certificate in forensic science. Does anyone know what I need to do to get this type of job? What type of classes I need? ANy types of...

Help please -I was CHARGED as a Criminal.. 'd/c &b [ 1 Answers ]

I tried to answer your post earlier but was unable to do so do so due to password problems. The local chapter of the Bar Association for your area should be able to tell you something about the attorney you have, at a minimun, whether that person is in good standing in the legal community. ...

View more questions Search