Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paulinep Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 08:14 AM
    Repair drywall seam around shower stall-some mold in drywall
    Paint on drywall seam --10 in .that surromds ouside od shower stall has cracked. Pulling it off I discovered the mesh drywall tape below showed no signs of mud and was on top of dryall which now has developed a 6 in length of mold---
    Painter 3-years ago did not do proper job-what to do?
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Oct 31, 2008, 05:34 PM
    The best way to repair is not to do it wrong again.

You should really take that section of drywall out, back to the closest corner and reinstall a new piece and tape, texture and paint it to match.

If you do just patch it, get all the mold out any way you can, this can make you ill.

Usually when you see mold, there is more behind the wall.

Good luck Roger
    Chevyfreak Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 04:28 PM
    Hi Paul,

The site of mesh tape anywhere in a house indicates that the particular area was either patched/fixed or added after the original construction of the home. This is not a bad thing but since it's near the shower, my instincts tell me the patch was apparently done improperly... or was done many years ago. And certainly, a water leak is probably still the culprit. If the integrity of the drywall has not been compromised, it's an easy repair. "Home Repair" is correct in the assumption that where there's mold outside a wall, there will most likely be mold inside the wall. If so, this would turn this easy repair into something a bit more stimulating.

Only to way to tell is to cut some of the drywall out and take a look see. My last job of this nature started as a 2 X 2 foot section, then escalated into tearing all the drywall out, spraying the mold with a 50/50 solution of water and chlorine (and letting it dry completely). Then I was able to replace the damaged section, tape, mud, and spray texture. Remember, if you see water outside a wall, there will most likely be water inside the wall.

If I can be of further help, let me know.
    Chevyfreak Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Oh man. That would be "sight". Long day and don't ask. LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wet Drywall and Mold in Bathroom Walls [ 4 Answers ]

Renting, so we will not spend ALL our money, however we are fixing the bathroom and have started peeling the latex paint off the enamel undercoat. Moisture is a problem as there is no fan and a very small window. We have areas of two paint layers, others of drywall (some wet) and some of one paint...

New drywall meets old painted/textured drywall [ 3 Answers ]

I am finally finished with a 10 foot addition to the 2 bedrooms at the front of my home. Once the additional was final on the exterior, ie: masonry walls, roof framing, sheathing, etc. I was left with the final task of removing the original exterior mas. Wall down to the floorline. Once this was...

Drywall repair [ 11 Answers ]

I have a problem with 2 to 3 drywall seams on my ceiling. The seams open slightly creating unsightly cracks especially in colder weather. I've tried simply applying joint compound but eventually the seams open again. In the heat of Summer the seams close up. What can I do to eliminate this problem?

Repair wet drywall in ceiling [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, We have a leak in our bathroom and it was messed up the drywall ceiling downstairs. What do I need to do? Thanks

Bubble in drywall seam [ 3 Answers ]

I'm on second coat, some seams look like the tape dried away from wall. SHould I sand it down and apply more tape or just mud over w/ a third coat then sand?

View more questions Search