Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    j36 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Oct 29, 2008, 09:46 PM
    Egyptian tombs
    Does anyone know anything about going through the tombs of ancient egypt? I've always LOVED egyptian history and was considering being an archeaologist but can I do that? Work as an archeaologist in egypt, uncovering their history?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2008, 10:24 PM

Hi, j36!

Sure, you could do that with the right schooling, training and connections when the jobs are available! If interested in going into that sort of field, I would suggest starting now in looking for colleges and/or universities that offer a degree program that leads up to a degree of some sort in the field of archeology.

Below, are links to a couple of searches to get you started.

College Archaeology Degree - Google Search

University Archaeology Degree - Google Search

There are also some virtual tours of some tombs that you might like to investigate.

Egyptian Tomb Virtual Tour - Google Search

I wish you the best in the pursuit of your dream!

Thanks!
    Stringer Posts: 3,733, Reputation: 770
    Business Expert

Oct 29, 2008, 10:24 PM

I too love archaeology, and have a passion for Egyptian history along with anything very old.

I am older now but if I had a second chance I would like to be an archaeologist. I do know that many, many archaeologists look for years without finding anything of great value. However some are extremely fortunate and make valuable finds quite often. It is obviously easier when you are funded by a museum, college, etc.

I have a very small collection of finds from the middle and lower Mississippi areas, primarily early native Indian. Some are over 1500 years old the others average approximately 800 years. I purchased these items from a friend who makes finds himself and also purchases them from others and have them displayed on my library wall. They all have been authorized as authentic and have a total value of over $18,000.00 a small collection as I said. But I prize them, it is really a strange feeling to hold a decorated vase in your hand that was made 1200 years ago by someone with some skill.

Good luck in your decision, grab the opportunity and get the education necessary.

-Stringer
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2008, 10:26 PM
    It figures that you and I would cross paths on this one, Stringer! :D Looks like we both answered within the same minute! :)
    Business Expert

Oct 29, 2008, 10:32 PM

I am not following you Clough, I swear! It seems that our interests are very closely related. Brothers on the Forum I guess.

Do you have a collection?
    Business Expert

Oct 29, 2008, 10:33 PM

I am not following you Clough, I swear! It seems that our interests are very closely related. Brothers on the Forum I guess.

Do you have a collection?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2008, 07:45 AM

Hi j. You have touched on a love of my own. Check out the Biblical Archaeology Society It's not a "religious" group at all... but much of it's work focuses on Egypt.

Once a year BAS publishes a list of digs where you can volunteer. In most cases, they'll give you room and board if you get there on your own dime.

You might also check into ASOR. They also are very much into the archaeology of the same area.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The "Egyptian Flu" [ 28 Answers ]

There seems to be an epidemic of a special strain of flu that has been affecting the females in my family lately. I am the fourth in the last 6 months to catch it. Its called the Egyptian Flu. I have had it two other times in the last 4 years. You catch it, it progresses for 9 months, and at the...

Egyptian symbols [ 1 Answers ]

What is the egyptian symbol for hope

Arabic or Egyptian song Translation? [ 2 Answers ]

YouTube - Moustafa Amar - Roo7i Feek Collection_-_by kibo_-_ Ro7y Feek by Mostafa Amar Its in arabic, but probably egyptian arabic since he is egyptian. Or it might not matter if its singing? I don't know because I know nothing about arabic. I bought the album and have been listening...

Any ancient Egyptian objections to Exodus? [ 2 Answers ]

Were there ever any ancient Egyptian official objections to the Exodus account given in the Hebrew Scriptures? One would expect that ancient scholars not to mention such intellectuals like the Greeks would say something. Did they?

Egyptian berries [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know what fruits and berries were available in Ancient Egypt at about 1800 BC? Captain O.

View more questions Search