Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Red-z Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2008, 01:28 PM

I have followed fan law #1:
    CFM varies in direct proportion to change in RPM
    RPM (new) CFM (new) = RPM (old) x CFM (old) .

Sometimes all theoretical calculations and planning efforts don't take into account things that go awry in the field, and thus, you have field changes that need to be made to make things work. This is a field change because of someone else's screw up.

Thanks again for your help.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 31, 2008, 02:16 PM
    LOL

There was NO problem with the original design of the furnace. All you had to do was obtain the correct blower wheel to take all the guess work out of it. Now the screw up of someone else will be expanded to a larger screw up by trying to be a field engineer. I see no wisdom in that. Once again good luck with your problem.

Oct 31, 2008, 02:55 PM

hvac1000:
    Of course there was no problem with the original design of the furnace or it wouldn't have lasted 30 yrs. You think I will burn out the new higher rpm motor. You're the one who is supposed to be the expert. I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Oct 31, 2008, 05:49 PM
    I don't think you know what you're talking about.

Everyone is has a right to there opinion.

Nov 6, 2008, 10:44 AM

I've received and installed the higher RPM electric motor and the furnace is operating superbly. The register temperature is running between 100-120 degrees F.

Thanks for all your help.

Nov 6, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Hope it lasts for you.

Nov 6, 2008, 03:58 PM

I've replaced the thermocouple. Is there a standard universal pilot burner assembly I can use?

Do you have any recommendations?

Nov 6, 2008, 04:30 PM
    There are universal pilot burners made by Honeywell and White Rodgers just to name two of the companys that make them.

BUT

You have to be sure to get the correct gas type Natural or propane.
    You also have to piuck one that has the correct target. Different pilots will have different directions of pilot flow. This is critical on most furnaces since one pilot flame might be for the pilot sensor/safety and the other pilot flame is used to light the burners. In the trade there are called right or left hand pilots and there are also center fire ones.

Component

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...rner+&L1=Pilot

Nov 6, 2008, 05:58 PM

How do I tell what I have? My Control Valve is White-Rodgers Model 36303.

Nov 6, 2008, 06:06 PM
    The control valve/gas valve has nothing to do per say with the way the target has to be for your burner.

36C 0r 36D or other letters plus numbers are how a W/R gas valve reads. 36303 will not compute. Look on the gas valve again. Example 36E86-303

Since you replaced the thermocouple already what happened to the pilot ???

And if the pilot got damaged because you did not spray it down with WD-40 before trying to take the brass nut off you will probably need the aluminum tube and some fittings also. That dag gone aluminum tube always wants to twist unless you spray that area first.

Nov 6, 2008, 06:15 PM
    36c03-333

Nov 6, 2008, 06:39 PM
    Looks like a universal valve.

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/.../0037-6264.pdf

Nov 6, 2008, 06:49 PM

I've located that spec sheet for the valve. It's the correct one. How do I tell what type of pilot burner assembly I need to replace?
    Right, left, center?

Nov 6, 2008, 06:54 PM
    I hope you have the old one. If not you will have to post pictures of the burner area and hope someone here can tell. It is VERY important to get the correct one.

Nov 6, 2008, 06:55 PM
    Post the model number exactly as on the furnace. I probably will not find anything on it in all my books but you never know.

Nov 6, 2008, 07:08 PM

Tappan model #SGUF 140 D 48 E
    s/n 77119739

Nov 6, 2008, 07:08 PM
    Tappan model #SGUF 140 D 48 E7
    s/n 771 19739

Nov 6, 2008, 10:06 PM
    No luck with that model number or anything close to it.

Nov 6, 2008, 11:09 PM

That's why I had to resort to a universal motor and blower: whatever I could find.

I found one universal Pilot Burner:
    Pilot Burner for use with Thermocouples (Natural Gas or L.P.Gas) (Universal Pilot Replaces many Obsolete Pilots): American HVAC Parts

But I don't know if the orifice is correct, or the flame characteristic.

Nov 7, 2008, 03:13 AM
    That price is a rip off do not buy it there.

It would all be guess work from here. If the pilot comes with both nat and LP orifices the one that you need will work since the orifice is sized for the pilot assembly to start with.

The main problem is the way the pilot flames come out to lite the burner and if you do not have the old one that can be a tuff decission unless you are there looking at it and have experience.

Can you post pictures of the pilot area of the furnace?
    What gas are you using Nat or propane?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas furnace not blowing hot air [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I am visiting my uncle and his natural gas furnace is not working for forced air heating. There is hot water in the house, but I cannot get heat. I replaced the thermostat and can't even get the blower to operate in ON, never mind AUTO. He says it has been very temperamental lately where...

Furnace not blowing hot air [ 1 Answers ]

I have a intertherm Central Electric furnace Model FEW-015H Voltage supply 240 volts Heating output 53,000BTUH Appliance No.F000551240.It is only throwing out warm air.It run all of the time to heat the trailer up.Before husband died it threw out hot air and took no time to warm trailer up.

Furnace Not blowing hot air [ 4 Answers ]

I have a bryant furnace. The outside unit is making a clicking and kind of buzzing noise, seems like the fan wants to start but does not start up. The inside unit will start up and heat up but the blower never turns on. It is like it is waiting for something, and it never happens. Any advice would...

Furnace not blowing. [ 5 Answers ]

Please HELP!! I am a single mother of 2 and I have a problem. My thermostate is set at 72 degrees. The house temp is at 71 and the sound of the burner can be heard as if the furnace will kick out hot air any minute. Yet, the fan does not come on and start blowing air through the vents. What...

Furnace fan keeps blowing [ 1 Answers ]

Carrier Furnace. My furnace blower stays on after shutdown. Keep getting a code 33 which says flame rollout switch is open. How do I bypass them or tell if they are bad? Had control board replaced afew months ago. If I let the system sit a couple of hours, it will usually reset. Please help.

View more questions Search