Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    j36 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Oct 29, 2008, 08:49 PM
    English teacher vs. writing for the local newspaper
    I am a junior in high school and I get all a's and b's. I excel in writing and I was thinking about working for a newspaper or being an english or history teacher for high school students. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge about either of these professions and what colleges (in Arizona) would be good colleges/universities to apply to.
    oxyloron Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2008, 04:37 PM

Well, one requires a lot of hard work and ambition. The other is safe and admirable.
    Are you aggressive?
    Are you intelligent?
    Are you quick?

If not, be a teacher.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2008, 11:19 PM

Hi, j36!

To excel at either type of position would require a lot of hard work and ambition in addition to creativity, patience, discipline, understanding of the needs and wants of others according to how they are overall by their age, intellectual level and social upbringing; self-motivation, excellent listening and observational skills, etc.

I wouldn't go so far to say that being a teacher is safe and admirable. My having been a teacher for a long time, I know that how the profession might be viewed as being safe and admirable is an opinion to which not everyone would agree.

What sort of things have you written? Do you have a school newspaper? If you do, are you contributing anything to it as a writer?

Thanks!
    j36 Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Nov 11, 2008, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    Hi, j36!

To excel at either type of position would require a lot of hard work and ambition in addition to creativity, patience, discipline, understanding of the needs and wants of others according to how they are overall by their age, intellectual level and social upbringing; self-motivation, excellent listening and observational skills, etc.

I wouldn't go so far to say that being a teacher is safe and admirable. My having been a teacher for a long time, I know that how the profession might be viewed as being safe and admirable is an opinion to which not everyone would agree.

What sort of things have you written? Do you have a school newspaper? If you do, are you contributing anything to it as a writer?

Thanks!
    There is kind of a school newspaper, but it only comes out maybe two times a year, I am not involved in it. I have been pulished in the local newspaper and I am a very skilled writer, plus, I enjoy it. I've written essays and op-eds and stuff, but most of my writing has been an assignment, I haven't really gone and written a lot on my own yet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My future as an english teacher [ 8 Answers ]

Okay I want nothing more in life then four things, to be a good wife and mother someday, and to be an english teacher and writer. I am sure I have all of the above down except for the teacher bit. I have a terrible memory and am on Strattara to help with it but I'm worried that even so my memory...

Crush on English Teacher [ 3 Answers ]

Hey Help Desk I have a problem, I like someone but I can never do anything about it. The problem is he is my English Teacher. I love the way he talks, his smile, everything about him is beautiful, I love being in his class And being around him, but I am so shy around him and can't...

An local newspaper published a libelous article about my husband [ 1 Answers ]

Recently a paper where we live published an article about my husband. It made many claims, but the most insidious was that he had falsified a document and signed another person's name. Not only did he not do this but we have the copies of the board of directors minutes showing the man claiming he...

I need to WOW my english teacher [ 5 Answers ]

I'm writing a 3 paragraph essay about a short story and I need help. I need to know how to start my essay out good. Can you helP??

View more questions Search