Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avel Posts: 199, Reputation: 0

Jun 8, 2006, 06:36 PM
    Installing Windows XP from MS-DOS...
    Im trying to install XP, this PC is totally DOS no any windows installed so no shortcut installation to make...

Here:
    Everything are all set partition and HD formated...
    A:\>smartdrv (enter)
    A:\>e: (enter)
    E:\>cd I386 (enter)
    E:\I386>winnt (enter)

Then when the windows files is copying to HD said there are files that cannot be coppied and if these files are not present on the HD windows setting error...

But I continue, I just press ESC to skip the file...
    But as the windows warning when reboot and the windows is setting error occur... :confused:

Why, Is it possible for a file to be damage even is in the CD...
    Coz I already used this installer B4 no problem comes-up... :confused:
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Jun 9, 2006, 06:35 AM
    Howdy:

Why aren't you just using the XP cd to boot from and install XP with?

As long as your cd is an original and not a copy you or someone made for you, it should self-boot and install!

Murray
    dmeeu Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jun 10, 2006, 05:52 PM
    I've seen this before. If it does the same thing when you boot to the CD, your hard drive is going bad. They don't always go bad all at once. Some fail slowly. Loading an operating system runs them pretty hard. If a hard drive is starting to go, I can usually tell by trying to load an operating system.

Jun 12, 2006, 11:30 PM
    I used DOS just to know, I just want to know, but same problem even if I boot by CD there are some files that cannot be coppied that cause me to setup error...
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Jun 15, 2006, 07:18 AM
    If the cd is scratched or dirty, it can lead to errors when trying to install..

Also, if the XP cd is an original full install XP cd (usually with SP1 or SP2 included), it will have copy protection on it which won't allow you to copy certain required files/folders..

Murray
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Jun 15, 2006, 07:42 AM
    Also, I've seen installation errors like that caused by memory problems. Try running Microsoft's Memory Diagnostics to rule out memory trouble. http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

It creates a bootable floppy disk.

Jun 21, 2006, 03:20 AM
    I all ready used that 6 disk boot installer for windows xp but it hungs, I wait for an hour but it never ask for the 2nd disk...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2006, 03:57 AM
    Why not just install XP from the boot-up option of any XP CD?? It will format the drive and install the OS. It doesn't care that the PC was originally DOS or UNIX or CP/M, it boots from the CD.

Jun 27, 2006, 07:14 PM
    Well as I have said I just want to learn how to install it using dos command... but anyway eighter way boot or not, still don't work I think my mother board is damage it can't find the hard disk, someone said he adjust it to set 2 then the hd appears but he said reason is mother board, could you tell me what's that set 1 and 2...
    aksankar Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2011, 05:42 AM
    How to install windows xp from windows 98 bootable and command step by step

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retrieve Windows XP key but Windows won't boot [ 3 Answers ]

I have an HP machine that has had the case replaced (meaning the sticker is no longer stuck to the side of the case.) It also didn't come with any media (the restore partition is corrupted.) All I need to do to fix the booting problem is run a repair but I cannot get into Windows to retrieve the...

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

Installing retro fit windows [ 4 Answers ]

I installed our first window.Every thing went OK,it took a while but it was our first one.We will be installing more but first I need to do the trim around this first one first. Does anyone have any tips? I did not realize how bowed out the sides of the window hole is on the interior side until I...

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME error when installing windows xp [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am Pradeep. I have a celeron 1.1 with mercury MB. I was running windowsxp for the past 6 months. Recently when I tried to re-install using bootable windowsxp cd the setup stopped saying that the : UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME with error code: STOP: 0X000000ED(0X812FBA5B, 0XC0000010,...

Installing Windows xp [ 2 Answers ]

If someone installed xp that belongs to someone else could they still get updates? Should it be registered in the owner's name? How should that be handled? Is it OK to register it twice under one name? Will it still work? Thanks.

View more questions Search