Ask
    Eileen1218 Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Oct 29, 2008, 09:52 AM
    Coughing dachshund
    Can a dog take human cough medicine?
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 29, 2008, 01:28 PM

I wouldn't unless a vet is consulted. Whatever you do, do not ever give him Benadryl, as this is toxic to dogs and cats. A vet should be seen regardless to find out why he is coughing. I had to rush my dog to the vet just a few weeks ago, because she was coughing so badly. It turned out she had a bad lung infection. She was put on antibiotics and two other meds. in order to clear it up. You need to take your dog to a vet, and find out the nature of the cough. Don't try and treat this on your own.
    Absolute Posts: 50, Reputation: 5

Oct 29, 2008, 01:33 PM

I disagree with above starbuck8. I give my dog Benadryl because my vet recommended it. Benadryl works well, my dog is allergic to the changing seasons between spring/summer/fall her paws get itchy and she chews them raw. I gave her benadryl and she stopped. She's such a lovely dog. I couldn't let her go somewhere else. Benadryl is FINE. Trust me.
    Absolute Posts: 50, Reputation: 5

Oct 29, 2008, 01:34 PM
    But I also agree with Starbucks8 for taking your dog to the vet. But if you can't afford it, you mine as well try Benadryl. It's the only way after vet. Wish you luck.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 29, 2008, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolute View Post
    I disagree with above starbuck8. I give my dog Benadryl because my vet recommended it. Benadryl works well, my dog is allergic to the changing seasons between spring/summer/fall her paws get itchy and she chews them raw. I gave her benadryl and she stopped. She's such a lovely dog. I couldn't let her go somewhere else. Benadryl is FINE. Trust me.
    If I can locate the article that I just read recently from a very reputable vet, about giving Benadryl to dogs and cats, I will try and post it. I will never give it to my dog again. That I know for sure.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Oct 29, 2008, 03:26 PM

I don't know what happened, but I posted again, and my post disappeared. So hopefully this time it will post, or I will start smacking my computer, lol!

I must appologize. I made a mistake about the Benadryl. 40 lashes with a wet noodle for me. I usually try my best to give accurate advice, but always come back if I realise I've made a mistake.

I couldn't find my article, so I called my sister, who had also read it. She couldn't find her article either, but although there were some other cough syrups on the list of toxic medicines for dogs, Benadryl was not one of them. So I'm very sorry for the mis-information.

What both of us did absolutely remember with out a doubt, although there were more on the list of meds not to give your pet. These are just a few.

--Aspirin
    --Acetaminophen (Tylenol, Exedrin, etc.)
    --Ibuprophen
    All of these are toxic to dogs.

Many cough syrups may contain some of the ingredients of the above mentioned.

With that said, you still shouldn't give your dog any meds without consulting your vet. It was never mentioned if this dog is a puppy, an adult, or a senior. It could be anything from kennel cough, to something that needs immediate attention. Your dog relies on you to get him that help, when he can't tell you what is wrong, just like a baby.

Good luck, and I hope your fur babe gets help for his/her cough. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Coughing Cat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, my 10 month old cat Ruby started acting abit odd yesterday, she kept gagging and was very distant and weak. Today is has developed into a really harsh cough and she swallows hard after and seems to have a dry mouth. At first I thought she had something stuck in her throat but she is still...

What can I take or do to stop coughing ? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a cold

Coughing catty [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 13 year old no previouse medical problems 3 or 4 time a day she has been coughing like as if it's a furball but nothing comes out. Never had problems with furballs before. She is of siamese build if that helps. Tha hacking can last for a few minutes at a time, what's going on?

Persistent coughing [ 1 Answers ]

I picked up an infection at the beginning of April this year that seemed to go straight to my chest. It gave me an awful, persistent cough which always left me struggling for breath and trying desperately to suck back some air into my lungs (even while the coughing fits, which sometimes lasted for...

View more questions Search