Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    folk_smith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2006, 01:51 PM
    Low cold water pressure in half of house
    I've been installing insulation under my house - there's a narrow crawlspace, so I'm sure I've knocked something about. When I got out, I had no cold water coming to our washing machine and the water pressure in the kitchen is extremely low. Here's the weird part, the hot water works in the washing machine and the water pressure from the outside spicket is fine and it's on the same side of the house as the washer/kitchen sink. It's like something's pinching or something. Any clues?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 8, 2006, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by folk_smith
    I've been installing insulation under my house - there's a narrow crawlspace, so I'm sure I've knocked something about. When I got out, I had no cold water coming to our washing machine and the water pressure in the kitchen is extremely low. Here's the weird part, the hot water works in the washing machine and the the water pressure from the outside spicket is fine and it's on the same side of the house as the washer/kitchen sink. It's like something's pinching or something. Any clues?
    What kind of pipes do you have? Copper? Galvanized?
    I can make a pretty good guess about what happened. When you were under the house you bumped against a cold water main and dislodged minerals that had built up 0n the pipe walls. The first fixtures to make a cold water draw sucked the crud up into the supplies and now are clogging them.
    The crud has also got into your water heater and it must be flushed out.
    Let's do the washer first. Shut off the cold water to the washer and remove the hose. Check and clean the screen in the hose and see if the washer fills now.
    For the sink unscrew and remove the aerator on the end of the faucets spout. Same thing. Check and clean the screen. Replace and test. If that don't get it get back to me.
    Unless you flush the crud out of the heater you'll find yourself with the same problem in the hot water side as you now have on the cold. Let me show you how.
    For long life and fewer troubles you should keep your heater clear of mineral build-up by flushing on a regular schedule. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) followed by white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). This shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Do this monthly to keep it clear. Now flush out your hot water lines on ALL fixtures. Now pull each aerator and clean the screens. Be sure you put them back togather the same way you took them out. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No pressure to cold water in bathtub [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! I had a Moen Faucet connected in my wife's tub about a year ago. It's been working great but the last three weeks or so It seems the cold water pressure is dropping dramatically. Hot water runs fine. This is the only faucet in the house that has this problem. I've already cleaned the aerator...

No cold water in part of house.. HELP!? [ 6 Answers ]

This past Wednesday, for some unknown reason, the cold water has stopped coming out of my kitchen faucet, (on 2nd floor) as well as no cold water in going to the washer (1st floor) or the outside spigot. There is still cold water in the bathrooms on all three floors of the house (built 1991) and...

Cold Water Pressure [ 5 Answers ]

I have no cold water pressure in my bathtub faucet. I live in an older house which seems to have been built by a couple of guys in their spare time. I don't know anything about plumbing. I read some posts water pressure but was pretty confused. Is there some kind of cartridge I have to clean? ...

No cold water in house [ 5 Answers ]

We only have warm/hot water coming from every faucet in the house. We had Mr. Plumber come out this time last year with the same problem and he said the pipes were crossed and he rerouted them. $500 later, it worked, but only for a year. So now I'm thinking that wasn't really the problem? My...

No Cold Water In House! Please Help! [ 1 Answers ]

I am having trouble with the cold water in my house. Everything was working fine until about a week ago and now every time you turn the cold water on it goes from cool to warm in 2 or 3 seconds. I have tried letting in run, testing all of the water faucets, washing machine, etc. in the house. I am...

View more questions Search