Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BCDurbin Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Pilot Light Troubles
    Installed new thermocouple yesterday - Pilot light stays lit for one complete heating cycle - of more - then I check again while unit is again blowing cold air and its out again!
    Pilot light stays lit while unit is heating and even is still lit after set temperature is reached and unit turns off! Then next time I look - it's out again! - BCD
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Oct 29, 2008, 10:18 AM
    You might have a partially restricted orifice in the pilot burner. This can cause the problems you are having. Carefully remove the pilot assembly. Then carefully remove the aluminum tube from the assembly to gain access to the VERY small pilot orifice. Use a object smaller than the hole (very small single strand of stranded wire) to clean it and any other debris found there. Note: believe it or not very small spiders build a web in there which causes a problem in the area I live in.

Before you try to loosed the nut holding the aluminum tube spray with WD-40 and go easy. If not you might be buying new tube and nut assembly.

If this fails to fix it have a professional do an on site inspection to check the heat exchanger for cracks.

Oct 29, 2008, 01:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    You might have a partially restricted orifice in the pilot burner. This can cause the problems you are having. Carefully remove the pilot assembly. Then carefully remove the aluminum tube from the assembly to gain access to the VERY small pilot orifice. Use a object smaller than the hole (very small single strand of stranded wire) to clean it and any other debris found there. Note: believe it or not very small spiders build a web in there which causes a problem in the area I live in.

Before you try to loosed the nut holding the aluminum tube spray with WD-40 and go easy. If not you might be buying new tube and nut assembly.

If this fails to fix it have a professional do an on site inspection to check the heat exchanger for cracks.
    Thanks - that's all I can think of now too - already had the tube off to replace the TC, should have done it then! I'll let you know if I can solve it! - BCD
    XxRoosterXx Posts: 44, Reputation: 9

Oct 29, 2008, 01:32 PM

I recently had this exact problem. Everything was brand new. Valve, thermocouple, line to pilot assy. I replaced the thermocouple hoping that was the problem but still no resolve. Ended up replacing the gas valve and so far so good. Goes to show even brand new can be defective.
    dbravo12003 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 29, 2008, 05:43 PM
    I can't find the pilot on my furnace where can I locate I

Oct 30, 2008, 08:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dbravo12003 View Post
    i can't find the pilot on my furnace where can i locate i
    Might not have one! May be electric ignitor! My other one is! Good luck! - BCD

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

How do you light the pilot light of a Carrier furnace? [ 1 Answers ]

How do you light the furnace of a Carrier furnace model #58DLA110-12?

Pilot light stays on but pilot switch keeps resetting [ 5 Answers ]

I have a baso L62AA-5 pilot switch and it used to keep resetting. I would hold the switch down for a good minute and the gas lights, but after a half an hour or so it would go back to its reset position. The standing pilot light was always on and never a problem. After a few days of manually...

Pilot light on propane furnace won't light [ 7 Answers ]

Hi! This is a little long, please bear with me... Two days ago we woke up to a very cold house, and upon investigation found that the pilot light on the furnace had gone out. Searched around, didn't smell much gas - so we tried to re-light it. Well, it lit and stayed lit (and we got the...

Cannot light Pilot Light on Water Heater [ 2 Answers ]

My water heater is located in my attic. After Katrina, I had to repair my damaged roof and it seems that the attic fan went out. Since then my water heater pilot light has repeatedly gone out. I can re-light it usually, but the lack of air up in the attic causes the light to go out. Presently,...

View more questions Search