Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PAULIE Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2006, 10:00 AM
    My 1991 civic doesn't want to start
    Hi I have a 1991 honda civic dx that won't start

I just changed the whole starter including the offset gear that is attached and changed the 50a fuse that is under the hood no response everything comes on in the car but starter doesn't respond at all I can push start the car but in dire need of fixing it
    shunned Posts: 268, Reputation: 20

Jun 8, 2006, 05:12 PM
    Did you bypass the solenoid? I assume there is no cranking? Do you have a safety switch on the column?
    WJBailey Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jun 8, 2006, 07:08 PM
    Your civic is manual I assume, there is a "safety" switch under the dash top of the clutch that has a plunger in it. See if that piece is broke (a hole you will feel top of the clutch assy) if this is missing a sub fix can be to put a bolt in this hole or just ho9ld the button in to start until you can get part.

P.S. after 2 weeks we just found this same one ourselves tonight!

Jun 10, 2006, 09:06 AM
    Hey but you know what they still have the plunger in the part but the clutch isn't hitting it in all the way think there might be something wrong with the part still or now my clutch

Jun 10, 2006, 07:56 PM
    Well Paulie, Did you get the fix yet as to your issue? Could be that plunger needs to be changed, mine had actually broke and fell out. Glad to hear you got it to crank though!

Jun 11, 2006, 11:49 AM
    OK so I drove the car and it ran just fine but I killed it now it won't start any more tried to push it and start it but it tried to but just didn't start fulepump is working but I have no idea what to do I let it cool off and went out and it started right up drove it home killed it and tried to restart but nothing what could be the problem
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jun 11, 2006, 01:28 PM
    Main relay. Read the FAQ.
    Jarg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2006, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CroCivic91
    Main relay. Read the FAQ.
    I'm having a similar problem with a 89 CRX Si. They symptom is the car won't crank, but will run if push started. I disassembled the ignition switch, but it looked OK. I pulled the starter and had it tested, also OK. I checked the clutch switch and it seems to be intact. I pushed in the plunger, but still no start. Now I've pulled the main relay. I looks OK too, though I haven't tested it. My question is, can a bad main relay demonstrate these sysmptoms?

Jun 11, 2006, 03:52 PM
    LOL Again I can qoute CroCivic... read the faq... see if you have codes in your system. Could be any number of things, as I was recently notified by Haynes books, Hondas have any number of things that will "kill" the start on this car, and as I learned the hard way the books just don't cover them all. First thing first though, see if you have codes, could be a code in there that can point the right direction! :)

Jun 11, 2006, 08:57 PM
    Turns out it was the clutch switch after all. I took another look at it and was able to depress it fully by hand, after which the car started fine. Now I just have to figure out how to replace it!

Jun 12, 2006, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarg
    Turns out it was the clutch switch after all. I took another look at it and was able to depress it fully by hand, after which the car started fine. Now I just have to figure out how to replace it!
    If you do not find a cheap solution, you can also try to bypass it with a wire. It purpose is to disallow the car to be started if the clutch is not pressed in (safety measure). If you bypass it, you won't have to press the clutch to start the car. It's only a switch after all.

Jun 12, 2006, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CroCivic91
    If you do not find a cheap solution, you can also try to bypass it with a wire. It purpose is to disallow the car to be started if the clutch is not pressed in (safety measure). If you bypass it, you won't have to press the clutch to start the car. It's only a switch after all.
    I thought about that. The main problem is getting to the darn thing. I can feel it by reaching up the clutch pedal, but I haven't been able to see it! Also, I may not have to mess with the switch at all. I think there may be a rubber stopper of some part that is, or was attached to the pedal assembly, and I'm speculating that it came off, and therefore the plunfer on the clutch swtich is not being pushed in far enough when I press the clutch. I'm going to take another look at it when I get a chance.

Jun 14, 2006, 11:00 PM
    I just stuck a screw in it don't have to fit just have a big head not to long or small and has been working just fine for me or you sure the plunger is on and if not this will work for now if the plunger is still intact don't put screw

Jun 15, 2006, 02:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULIE
    i just stuck a screw in it dont have to fit just have a big head not to long or small and has been working just fine for me or you sure the plunger is on and if not this will work for now if the plunger is still intact dont put screw
    Holy crap, can't you put some dots and commas in that sentence?

Jun 16, 2006, 06:49 PM
    Glad to see someone is getting good use of our learnings! And CroCivic, thanks for the laugh!! LOL:D

Jun 16, 2006, 06:55 PM
    By the way, for those of you trying this "fix" for the clutch, I did learn "body panel clips" for ford work perfectly when inserted with the flad head side on the switch side of the clutch pedal,also they are only $1.44 for 4 @ any parts house :cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1991 Honda civic won't start [ 1 Answers ]

Not getting spark so I checked the distributor. The blk/yel and wht/blu for battery voltage. Both had voltage. Checked the Blu and what body ground for continunity. Neither had continuity. Any idea why neither blu going to the ECU or what going to the TAc wouldn't have continunity>

Car doesn't start when hot [ 2 Answers ]

Hey all, This post is about my car. It's a 1971 chevelle malibu 350 v-8 4bbl. The car will start up fine when its cold. But after its hot it won't start. I was at a gas station filling her up, went to start it and it only cranked, I then waited about 30 minutes then tried again. It struggled...

My computer doesn't start. It gives me 3 beeps. [ 2 Answers ]

When I switch on my computer, its starts but my monitor stays black and muy computer gives me 3 beeps and stays on but inactive. I don't know if the problem is the computer or the monitor (The monitor is on but with the orange light instead of the green light). Someone help me please? :(

Computer doesn't start :( [ 11 Answers ]

I have a P4 3.0 HT with an ASUS P4S800 motherboard. I moved to another city last week and brought my desktop along. Now its just not working. When I press the power button the CPU fan runs but there are no beeps or anything and the system just doesn't boot up. On the screen its written "No...

1991 civic ex cuts off while going 65 and won't start back up! [ 1 Answers ]

First of all i am female...dont know to much about cars. The other day i was going about 65 mph and my car just cut off....I got it to the side of the road and it started up but then cut right back off. Then about 6 hours later we went to get it and it started up fine. The next day it did the...

View more questions Search