Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    just a little Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Oct 28, 2008, 08:22 PM
    I am trying to adopt my baby sister.
    I am trying to be able to adopt my sister. She is 1 and she has been in DHS custody ever since she was born. I had just learned about her in Feb. of this year and I actually learned that she was my sister in Sept. I have never gotten to know her. We live in different states. She has gone up for adoption and I am trying to get some advice on what I can do. I am trying to get to adopt her and I don't know what to do.

I have talked to the DHS and they say they can not give me any information. They have taken my information and they say that they are going to see if I can get her but I think that they are lying. The foster parents want to adopt her too. The DHS has told me that she is better off in foster care than with family and that hurts me a lot. The foster parents say that they will let her know her family and then they can just change their minds and we my never see her again. I lived in foster care and I know what they can say and not do.

I have not been raised with my other sister and we had to get a relationship when we became adults. I do not want that for her. I want to be able to keep our family together. I know that other people are having this problem so I decided to ask and see if I can get help. I guess that some parents don't care how their kids feel or they would not put us people through this.

If anyone can help please write me so I can get some ideas of what to do. Thank you for rtaking the time to read this.
    Hazel1220 Posts: 102, Reputation: 13

Oct 28, 2008, 08:46 PM

Wow that sounds like a sticky situation. Well I do not know much but I am alays told that CPS tries to keep kids with their families as much as possible. Do you have a stable life? A job, place to live, no drugs and lead a healthy life? Also have you tried talking to a lawyer? I know that they are pricey but in most places the city has some free legal advice services. Good luck

Oct 29, 2008, 06:04 AM

Yes, I am really stable in my life. I am 28 years old. I am going to college and my husband is the one that makes the money so that why we decided that it is a good time to go back to school. We do have a place to live and we do not do drugs. We have 3 kids and we enjoy them. I have talked to a lawyer and I am going to use someone from the town that she is from. I know it is a bit pricey but I am willing to pay to keep my family together.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 29, 2008, 06:18 AM

OK, your follow-up note gives me more hope than your original note did.

You are married with kids of your own, so I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to adopt her.

The only issue here is that the foster parents have bonded to some extent.

But since DHS is presenting a roadblock, you really need a lawyer to run interference for you. And you need to move as fast as possible.

Oct 29, 2008, 06:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    OK, your followup note gives me more hope than your original note did.

You are married with kids of your own, so I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to adopt her.

The only issue here is that the foster parents have bonded to some extent.

But since DHS is presenting a roadblock, you really need a lawyer to run interference for you. And you need to move as fast as possible.

I know that things were not as clear but I was thinking and typing at the same time and some things I had left out. I am sorry this is just stressful and I have never been through this before. Thank you for your help.
    Hazel1220 Posts: 102, Reputation: 13

Oct 30, 2008, 11:52 PM

I think you are most defintley on the right track to proving yourself capable. But just make sure you are prepared for it not only economically but emotionally as well. Many children not matter what age have a hard time adjusting to a new family and situation. I think what you are doing is wonderful and selfless but you are going to have to make adjustments as well. Keep us posted.

Nov 1, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazel1220 View Post
    I think you are most defintley on the right track to proving yourself capable. But just make sure you are prepared for it not only economically but emotionally as well. Many children not matter what age have a hard time adjusting to a new family and situation. I think what you are doing is wonderful and selfless but you are going to have to make adjustments as well. Keep us posted.
    I want to thank everyone for their advice and I am doing OK. I know it can be emotional because it has been emotional already for me and I have cried many times. I don't know why I cry but sometimes when I'm done then I feel better. I have hired a lawyer and I go see themn on Monday. They work with other lawyers all over the United States and if I have to go to court then they will have me a lawyer there and help me get prepared. I am not trying to be selfish I am just trying to keep my family together. I know how it is to be without your family and I do not want her to have to live that way. I was raised in fostercare. I was not raised with my older sister so I want to have a close relationship with my baby sister. I do not want to have to look for her in the future because you never know I may never find her. I have prayed and I hope that god answers my prayers because I feel I am doing the right thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I adopt or at least meet my birth half sister? [ 9 Answers ]

This sounds just like BrandiCyr's question. I was wondering if I could possibly adopt or at least find my little half sister, she's seven or eight and my parents would love to adopt her. I would love to have her. As soon as I found out I was angry that my birth mother didn't keep her. I don't know...

Can we adopt this baby? [ 2 Answers ]

We have fostered a baby since birth to 6 months who is up for adoption by adoptive parents who have his 3 siblings.Can we try to adopt him ?

How do I adopt my baby sister? [ 4 Answers ]

I am needing help on how to adopt my baby half sister. My father is extremely abusive he is a horrible horrible man. He ruined my childhood. I moved in with them at one point to help prevent him from hurting my sister but he started to hurt me again and I had to get out before it got worse. I know...

My boyfriend wants to adopt my baby [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 15 month old baby. I went for a dna test with a guy and it came back that he's not her biological father. My boyfriend wants to adopt her. So I have two questions... 1. do we have to be married for him to adopt her. 2, Do I have to find out who her biological father is and have him sign...

Looking for a baby to adopt [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for two years and trying to have a baby for one year. We are not having any luck and are trying to find an adoption situation. We are looking for a birthmom who wants to find a family for her child. We are a happy family and could pprovide well for a child, so if...

View more questions Search