Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barkley1 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2006, 07:47 AM
    Tooth whitening
    About the laser whitening in the dentist's office, has anyone has that procedure done, and if so, what were the results? I have a little discoloration and wonder if the whitening would even the color out when it is done... any thoughts?
    Cgirl Posts: 287, Reputation: 38

Jun 8, 2006, 08:25 AM
    My dentist and I have also discussed whitening for me... this is something I am intersted in as well... and he said that laser whitening is a gimic... it works temporarily.. but only will last about a week or two. Your best bet is to get them professionally done with the trays and liquid... I have found this lasts much longer... and the results are much better.:D
    ab-solute Posts: 44, Reputation: 2

Jun 17, 2006, 05:18 PM
    I paid so much at the dentist for tooth whitening and although it did make my teeth a bit whiter, I had just as good results from Gosmile- the stuff Halley berry uses. The corp site usually sells it for $120.00, but you can get the best deals at www.dewylook.com they sell it at wholesale prices from what I can see and even cheaper than eBay.
    olzark Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 09:14 PM
    There are so many whitening products on the market that it can become confusing. The stronger (and therefore more effective) products can either only be sold by a dentist or applied by one. I am not familiar with various state regulations but only our experience in our dental office. The more costly treatments (Zoom or Britesmile) are in office treatments for patients desiring a more immediate result as opposed to wearing take home trays every day for several weeks. Both in and out of office whitening treatments can offer great results (providing you are a good candidate). At our dental office we offer the in-house whitening patients trays to take home for touch ups as they feel are needed. Just remember if the behaviors that trigger tooth discoloration (heavy coffee or tea drinker, smoker, etc) are not modified your newly whitened teeth will in time return to their less brilliant color.
    sycamore Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Olzark, thank you for such a helpful answer. I know that I can get Britesmile here in the UK and am very interested in trying that - I've been hopeless at using over the counters trays, strips, etc, so I think the short sharp shock approach is the best.

My question is: although they're yellowed further by coffee, etc, even when I was a little girl they were pretty yellow, so would this actually lighten them beyond their natural colour or would it just take them to their natural yellow at best? I've started to think that the only way to get nice white teeth would be veneers, which I'd be loath to do partly because I have a real fear about drilling, etc (fortunately my teeth are yellow but healthy), partly because of the cost, and partly because they're a really nice shape, very regular, and I'd be proud of them if it wasn't for the colour.

Thank you for any responses, and apologies for jumping into this thread, it didn't seem right to start a new thread on this topic when there was already one on the front page of the forum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tooth abscess. [ 19 Answers ]

I recently had a crown come out and had to go to the dentist to have it put back on. The dentist took an x-ray and told me I had some infection in that tooth and I'd need a root canal. I was started on antibiotics yesterday and a few hours after seeing the dentist my tooth started hurting. It's...

When will permanent tooth appear [ 1 Answers ]

Our 8 year old daughter has lost one front top tooth and just lost her 4th tooth on the bottom. The other front top tooth has been loose for over a month but hasn't come out yet. The first top tooth came out I think about 4 months ago and nothing is taking it's place yet. The new permanent bottom...

Missing tooth [ 1 Answers ]

My pitbull is missing a premolar behind the canine on the upper mouth so I would like to know if its because he lost it as a 6 months puppy or because is just not suppose to be there and is something wrong with him not eating as much as he should be he only eats enough to walk he is not eating...

Abcessed tooth [ 2 Answers ]

Just spent the weekend with the agony of an abcessed canine tooth. Today, I wouldn't have recognized myself in the mirror. I am on 2 antibiotics, and wonder how long it will be for the swelling to go down, so I can see the dentist.

Discolored tooth [ 6 Answers ]

I have a discolored tooth that my dentist says has been caused by nerve damage. Is it possible to reverse the discoloration? Also, I rinse my mouth with baking soda. Could that have caused the discoloration? Is there any danger in rinsing my mouth with baking soda?

View more questions Search