Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    apatty1129 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 06:30 PM
    I found a arrowhead and some bones in my yard how do I find out what was on my land?
    I was having some work done on my house and came across several artifacts that I think are in very good condition and I was wonderig if any one know how to find out what was on my land before my house was here??
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 28, 2008, 06:50 PM

Does your area have a local historical society
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2008, 10:34 PM
    Hi, apatty1129!

As has already been asked by Fr_Chuck, if you do have a historical society, then they most likely will have books with records in them about where local Indian tribes lived in your area. A public library would also be another resource. Something might even be mentioned in the Abstract for the property.

A red flag here is the bones that were found. I would strongly urge you to contact the archaeological society where you are located, because finding bones might indicate a burial ground of some kind and there could be some legal issues involved here. I'm not saying that you would get into trouble, but most states have laws governing the grave sites of Indians or others. Such discoveries are very important to those that document and keep track of things that might be of historical importance to an area.

When a new swimming pool was being constructed a number of years ago in a park right across the street from me, some bones were found. Officials were notified. All work in that area where the bones were located had to stop until the archaeologists had a chance to make sure that all the bones were properly removed, properly documented and taken care of according to state statutes.

What was once on your land could be very important to people who really should know about it for historical significance.

Thanks!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 29, 2008, 05:10 AM

Yes, Please do share your location so we might be able to help you find the info... or direct you to a local source.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I found two bugs in my yard and I would like to know what they are. [ 3 Answers ]

10506 10507 10508 10509 10510

How do I find out who owns a piece of land? [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find out who owns a piece of land?:)

Trying to find land lord of the home next to us [ 8 Answers ]

Can someone please give me some ides of where to look for the landlords number to the house next to me, I have tried to look in property appraisers in the county where we live, the name that comes up is not in the phone book, these people that moved in are underage, and there is all kinds of...

Daschund puppy - found motionless in yard - possibly a seizure episode [ 2 Answers ]

Hello -- Yesterday evening I found one of my 10 week old puppies (we have 2) in the back yard laying motionless. Her eyes were open but not moving. She didn't respond to my voice nor touch. I could barely make out a soft whimpering when I got up close. I got a blanket, put her on it,...

View more questions Search