Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rephayah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 06:23 PM
    File missing or Corrupt
    I started my computer up and I received the following message,
    Warning: windows has detected a registry\configuration error: choose command prompt only, and run scanreg.

The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
    The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS
    The following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS

Cannot find WIN.COM, unable to continue loading windows.

When I enter scanreg, it says Bad Command or file name

I tried reinstall with the O/S disk and computer doesn't recognize it

Please help I need my computer
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 08:23 PM

I tried reinstall with the O/S disk
    How did you try to do this?

Did the computer usually start with CD if there was a bootable CD in the drive?

Are you running XP?

Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any software or hardware that you installed or setup.

As much info you can supply will help figure out why this may have happened

Do you have an XP disk that came with PC or are you using a stand alone version of XP that you have on disk?
    panditi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2011, 09:10 PM
    Hi.. I am not sure if this is the correct procedure but when I try to install windows and the cd is not recognized.. I go to the command prompt and delete all the files including hidden files and sub directries in windows folder. Then when I try to install from the cd it allows me to
    darkvision Posts: 232, Reputation: 15

Sep 28, 2011, 07:24 AM
    You need to go into your BIOS as the system boots(generally f2 or f8, but can be escape or a number of other keys) then check to make sure your booting from cd first, hard drive second, save and close. Then it should boot from your windows disk. If not is the disk scratched? If so a at home quick fix that sometimes works is to put a small amount of liquid soap on the underside of the disk, rub it around with your finger all over the disk, then wash the soap off, and get the excess water off with a soft cloth(try not to rub it to hard, or too much just get it dry/let it sit and dry for a few minutes) the soap acts to help fill in the scratches temporarily if done correctly and can let you use the disk again. If that still doesn't work you may have to get the disk itself repaired/order a new one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO SOUND, Audio Drivers Missing or Corrupt [ 1 Answers ]

NO SOUND, Audio Drivers Missing or Corrupt All five of the device drivers under my Device Manager "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" category show yellow encased exclamination marks, but I'm only concerned about the audio ones for the moment since I've had no sound for a couple of weeks. ...

Missing file [ 2 Answers ]

Missing file snmaster.idx for AOL 9.0 How can I download this file. Aol cannot help by telling me to just reload the disc... doesnt work. Thanks for any help.

WindowsXP: ntoskral.exe is missing or corrupt :( [ 2 Answers ]

When I try to boot my laptop (Acer) I get black screen with text only: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows Root>\system32\ntoskral.exe. Please re=install a copy of the above file. http://www.lunarforums.com/forum/Smileys/default/crying.gif :mad:...

Corrupt file (extremely important files) [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, so before slicking my computer and starting from afresh, I zip a massive 9 gigabyte folder into about 6 gigs. These files were things I needed very severely for my resumes, portfolios, class work, exams, projects, pictures videos... four years worth of programming code crapped away; you get...

View more questions Search